[Vision2020] Re: Steve Wilkins speaking on the Sin of Racism

Jerry Owen owenjerry@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 06:02:57 +0000

Melynda and Rose and Vision People,

I'll leave it to Steve Wilkins to describe the sin of racism on Wed evening,
but I will comment on your so sincere questions.  Much has been said about
climate on this forum, and it should be noted what the results of the
current sitch have been in Moscow.  You say you are for equality and
dialogue and against racism, but it is multi racial businesses of Christ
Church members that have been boycotted.  The door of Zume has been spit
upon, the Ball and Cross Book sign broken, and the NSA building vandalized.
You should consider the result of your vitriol.  I've invited the public to
come hear and interact with Wilkins.  I suppose if you want to call him
names, this might be place since you have all ears.  But it isn't your
friends of racial minority who are getting the abuse.

Sincerely,

Jerry

>From: DonaldH675@aol.com
>To: owenjerry@hotmail.com, vision2020@moscow.com
>Subject: [Vision2020] Re: Steve Wilkins speaking on the Sin of Racism
>Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:13:33 EST
>
>Dear Jerry Owen,
>Can you help us understand exactly what the sin of racism is?  Does it
>refer
>to biological aspects of ethnicity?  Does it refer to patronizing attitudes
>towards those of a different ethnicity?  In the Wilkins/Wilson book on
>slavery,
>we read “The Old South was a caste society, but not a compartmentalized
>society.  There were specific roles for blacks and whites, and each “knew
>their place
>” as it were…”p23.  (quote marks around knew their place are from the
>original text) What does that mean?  What place was appropriate for a black
>woman in
>a slave owning society of the South?  What role was appropriate for a
>white,
>propertied man?
>Is it even remotely possible that Steve Wilkins has the vaguest insight
>into
>why I, for example, believe him to be not only racist, but brazenly
>unapologetic about it? It is my sense that even defenders of Southern
>slavery would not
>pretend that the “peculiar institution” was anything but race based.  I
>invite you to take a look at the Choice Slaves auction flyer on Tom
>Hansen’s Not On
>The Palouse website.  Every single human being for sale, including
>children,
>are described first by the color of their skin.  Southern slavery was
>racist,
>first, last, and always.  And so are the unhappy buffoons who defend it.
>Rose Huskey

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software  optimizes dial-up to the max!