[Vision2020] Moscow City Council

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:27:40 -0800

John and other Visionaries:
Point 3 of Mr. Reidner's discussion gives me pause.  While it sounds like a good thing for
a member of the public to be heard on one occasion, the net effect is that the person is
going to be denied an opportunity to be heard that is presently provided--at the
committee.  Although the committees do not conduct public hearings, the practice has
been to allow interested members of the community a brief time to speak, ask
questions, provide information.  If that is eliminated, what many will see happening is
that council members will make up their minds at the workshops without public input.
It really makes more sense to go the opposite direction.  Get all the available
information on the table as early as possible.  The public hearing at council meetings
might be shorter (because the whole council heard me at the workshop), clarifying
questions can be asked and answered in the interim, and if there is good reason for
further research, it can be presented then rather than taking time on the Council
agenda and finding out at that later date (based on the public testimony) that more
information would be helpful.

Your concern that the committee meetings have become de facto council meetings is
well-founded in my opinion, but this change will only make it worse, because all council
members will be present.  (It also means the workshops will probably take longer than
the committee meetings did because more council members will weigh in on any given
topic--so to save time, public input will be cut?

I don't know which time serves more people better.  I assume council meetings are
scheduled for 7 because more people can attend or watch at that time.  However, if
members of the public can speak at either the committee/workshop or the council
meeting, then those who can't make it at 7 have a chance to attend at 4.

The City Supervisor also mentions the efficiency of presenting information to all council
members at once.  It would also help the process of meaningful public input if staff
reports were made available online (and otherwise) to the public at the same time they
are presented to council members so that comments, responses, and questions will
make more sense.  It also increases the chances that written comments can be
prepared--which are probably more helpful to council members in their deliberations.

I have had a sense that there is a fear that "public input" will overwhelm our council
members and mayor and make meetings intolerably long.  My impression is that
getting more information in the hands of the public in a more timely fashion will
actually streamline public input at meetings because many of their questions will be
answered in the materials or can be asked in advance.  Also, the more open the
process, the more trust there will be--again reducing time listening to complaints about
the PROCESS--which has often been bigger than the issue to which the process was
attached.  Further, it will make more sense for council to limit the amount of time each
person is allowed to speak if s/he has had a meaningful opportunity to address the topic
BEFORE the meetings.  When one only gets one shot and  the information has not been
available until the meeting (and even then, only to council members and staff), it's
pretty tough to limit one to three minutes and get any kind of meaningful input.

I'm not sure this particular wagon is broken, and I'm not sure that if it is, what has been
suggested is the appropriate fix.  Given the lack of trust that has been generated over
the years, any proposal to change structure immediately after 3 new council members
have been seated and that tends to further limit public input without significant increase
in provisions for public information should be considered carefully.  Efficient use of staff
time and better preparation (by staff) for meetings are healthy objectives.  They should,
however, be balanced by consideration of the public's interest and input into the
process.
I leave you with two things to consider:
	1.  Should we perhaps keep the committee meetings for now and provide notice to
the public that all council members MAY attend, but that no "deliberations"
(discussions/actions leading to conclusion of the matter) will be made, thus leaving a 3-
member sub-group to conduct more efficient meetings and direct the flow of issues
back to staff, forward to the council agenda, or suggesting public information and input
by alternative means?
	2.  Does it make sense to have most matters that are heard at a committee
meeting be put on the council agenda for the FOLLOWING week rather than the same
night's council agenda.  Certainly some matters demand immediate attention.  For the
most part thought, a seven-day delay is not a problem and provides the advantage that
staff (and the public and the council members) can better respond to issues raised at
the committee meeting, committee members have some time to consider and
reconsider what they heard/discussed, and a member of the public who is interested
but not available on one day has a second chance on another day--or a week to
research and perhaps to provide written comments.
Thank you for your consideration.

Mike Curley