[Vision2020] recall petition

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 27 17:32:03 PST 2004

Well, shucky darn . . . I got caught up in holiday preparations and missed the
story, so I'm grateful it was mentioned here!

I've gone back & read the article in the Daily News, but I can't figure out
where in the process the effort is?

I'm not necessarily up on recall efforts, but my understanding is that to begin
the process, a copy of the prospective petition along with the signatures of at
least 20 registered *city* voters must be submitted to the city clerk.  Has that
been done yet?  If so, what was the *date* the petition was approved?  I think
that's the date the clock starts ticking to collect signatures from 20% of the
city voters "registered to vote at the last general city election held in the
city for the election of officers."

Does anyone know how long that clock ticks?  According to Idaho Code (34-1704),
it looks like there are 75 days for the petition to be perfected once the
initial petition is approved.

I tried using the City of Moscow's Web site to access information on the City
Code, but they seem to be having some difficulties there.  For instance,
clicking on the City Code link from the main page takes one only to a Fee
Resolution, and clicking on various other City Code links fails to reveal much
about the City Code at all other than Title 4 -- the Zoning Code.   In the past,
I *know* the parts of the City Code pertaining  to ordinances and referendums
(and recalls, I think) were available, but I'm not able to access that
information now.  Can anyone point me in the correct direction to find the
*complete* City Code on the City of Moscow's Web site?

Also, for those who are interested in who-all is behind this effort, I'm
wondering if this is a matter of public record?  Perhaps they didn't want to
speak to the press, but that initial petition with at least 20 eligible
signatures might be available for examination at the City Clerk's office.  Has
anyone checked or does anyone know definitively as to whether the signatures on
the proposed petition, as well at the signatures submitted on the petitions, are
open to public inspection?

I'm genuinely puzzled, too, Rose, as to why anyone involved in a recall effort
would expect to be able to participate in a public process anonymously.  Either
one has the courage of her/his convictions or one doesn't, and getting involved
in a PUBLIC recall effort would seem a . . . peculiar move for those who seem to
lack the courage of their convictions.  OTOH, it could be that those involved
are willing to speak to individuals or groups about their motives but just
didn't want to talk to a reporter, I guess.  I'd be interested in learning more
from those involved, but if they aren't interested in discussing their reasons,
it seems to me they'll have a heck of a time convincing others to join in their
efforts  ;-)  And, I can't say that I agree with any of the reasons Gerald Weitz
listed.

I'd guess those involved in the recall effort would need to collect somewhere in
the neighborhood of 2300+ signatures in the time allowed.  Anyone know how many
registered voters there were in Moscow in the last general city election?

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke