[Vision2020] Merry Christmas

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 11:45:18 PST 2004

Keely et. al.

Let's not go into what has or has not escaped my lips ... the horror!

Actually, I agree with you that his crucifixion separates him from just the
sum of his moral pronouncements, but probably not in the same sense you mean.
However, I think some devout believers in Christ's divinity, etc., want to
feel they are in some incredible exclusive club that gives them the rights to the
goodness and spirituality of what Christ represents, rights not granted to
those who do not believe in the full Christian story about Christ, including a
bodily resurrection from the dead.

I felt compelled to point out that many who do not worship Christ as divine,
and there are many variations of what "divine" means in the case of Christ,
some of which do not include resurrection from the dead, feel Christ is very
important, not only for moral statements (those are easy), but for the example he
set in the way he lived (assuming the "myths" about Christ's life), for the
healing and loving "spirit" many see and feel in him.

I won't elaborate too much on what would be a very complex and difficult
exploration of human myth making and spirituality, but Christ in my mind stands
for someone who was willing to put his life on the line to challenge authority,
and to advocate for the poor, the condemned and the rejected.  A powerful and
inspiring example, even for those not seeking martyrdom, or eternal salvation.

Maybe I have this wrong, but I think some of the examples Christ set in how
he lived might fit in into the ideology of the, oh my God, no, no, the,
the...LIBERAL ELITE!

Ted Moffett