[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Dec 17 06:29:37 PST 2004

University of Idaho

Office of the President

Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151

Phone: 208-885-6365

Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends December 17, 2004

Dear Friends,

While there is no snow on the ground right now, there are other signs that
winter recess is upon us. Students have been burning the midnight oil at the
Library and Commons studying for finals; and those who have finished their
exams are packing up and heading home. It has been a semester of incredible
joy and deep sorrow, of hard work and important decisions. I am thankful for
the opportunity to serve the University of Idaho and work with such a
diverse and talented community.

As you may know, I had a short stint in the local hospital following a mild
heart attack last weekend. Following several days of observation and
testing, I was discharged Tuesday with a clean bill of health. I appreciate
the many warm sentiments expressed in flowers, cards, e-mails and telephone
calls. Karen, Logan and I feel truly supported by your good will. We will be
spending a quiet break at home this year.

I wish each of you the very best of holidays and a happy 2005!

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ Professor Martha Kitzrow recently received one of the Association of
University and College Counseling Center Directors second annual Public
Relations and Advocacy Awards for the Best College, Professional and
Scholarly Journalistic Contributions to the Understanding of Student Mental
Health Issues. Kitzrow's "The Mental Health Needs of Today's College

Students:  Challenges and Recommendations" reviewed the literature on the
changing mental health needs of today's college students and the challenges
posed by both the growing number of students with psychological problems and
the increase in the number of students seeking counseling. AUCCD consists of
counseling center and mental health clinic directors at more than 560
colleges and universities in the United States and other countries.

~ Edward G. Elliott '38 of Eagle and his family have created the Edward G.

and Mary Elliott Access Scholarship Endowment at the University of Idaho
with a generous contribution of $200,000. The earnings on the endowment will
provide scholarships to deserving undergraduate students from the state
based primarily on financial need in any degree program at the university.

Ed Elliott and Mary Price grew up in rural Boise in the early 1900s. Ed
attended UI, fought in World War II, established a business in Burley and
grew it into a string of implement dealerships throughout southern Idaho.

He was involved in politics, the Army National Guard and establishment of
the Sawtooth Recreation Area. After meeting on a blind date, Mary and Ed
married in 1942 and raised five children. Three of their children and one
grandchild graduated from UI. This scholarship honors the legacy of Edward
G.

Elliott and his late wife, Mary, recognizing the impact that the University
had on their lives. When Ed presented a check for his scholarship endowment
to President White this fall, he noted that he "wanted to make sure that
more young Idahoans are able to study, make a living and enjoy the state as
much as Mary and I did."

~ The next edition of The Friday Letter will be Jan. 7.