[Vision2020] Letter from North Carolina

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Dec 14 12:36:19 PST 2004

Greetings:

I've received permission to post this letter from Henry Gerrits, whose wife
was dismissed by the principal of Cary Christian School where she was an
elementary school teacher.  I'm still unsure of the principal's connection
to Wilson, so perhaps someone in that camp could enlighten us.

12/13/2004
Friends of Cary Christian School:

Doug Wilson's letter to the editor 1/11/04 in response to the N&O [News &
Observer} article about his booklet certainly was not a very robust
response in defense of his booklet or the use of it at Cary Christian
School. Perhaps as I suspect he is not able to defend it. He obviously
tries to sidestep the issue entirely and throw in some humor about not
being a Neo Confederate. Perhaps he is not officially a Neo Confederate,
but he certainly assists in promoting their agenda. His co-author Steve
Wilkens by the way is acknowledged as a senior advisor to the board of
directors of the League of the South, a well known Neo Confederate
organization designated as a hate group. Does Doug Wilson not know this or
just not want you to know this.

The press release from Cary Christian School that reports the booklet was
withdrawn from use on December 9 in response to learning about footnote
errors from the N&O is completely ridiculous. Claims of historical
inaccuracies regarding Doug Wilson's booklet on slavery were documented and
made known to Doug Wilson in 2002 by an expert in Civil War history. Over
60 professors signed a plagiarism complaint regarding this book earlier
this year. Doug Wilson was well aware of these issues and has done nothing
to correct it so far.

As CCS must follow a Moscow approved curriculum to be accredited, the
statement that they just learned of these issues from the N&O this past
week and therefore decided to stop its use is intended only to deceive the
public as well as the staff and parents of Cary Christian School. If Larry
Stephenson wants to issue an apology on behalf of the CCS administration
and authors of this book, he should address more than just missing
footnotes. He should request forgiveness for misrepresentations and
inappropriate use of the intellectual property of others, or lying and
stealing, to use Biblical terms.

To argue as the authors of this booklet do that slaves were treated better
than we may be led to believe by other historical records is really of no
consequence considering the negative aspects of slavery on slaves and the
effect on our nation as a whole. Misrepresenting that the only purpose of
this book is to present an alternative view of history and denying any
knowledge of the plagiarism issue shows again that those who lecture others
the most on issues of the Christian life and proper behavior are themselves
often the most flagrant violators of the values we respect such as honesty
and integrity.

If the focus of argument is that the conflict of that period is more about
constitutional freedoms and states rights as implied in other writings of
Doug Wilson, then people should read the article by Thomas Alderman, an
attorney, who has researched historical records of that period. He
demonstrates with a review of original documents how Confederate states
clearly intended to continue the defense of treating slaves as property in
the new confederacy by further institutionalizing slavery and legal
protections for the practice of slavery in the declaration of secession and
new constitution.

To tell our community that this book is used only to tell the other side
and to encourage debate is also ridiculous. Ask your teachers at CCS if
they have freedom of expression and may raise alternate views regarding
curriculum matters for example. If you truly want to consider opposing
views then you need to open and discuss other books besides those by Doug
Wilson unless CCS is just another outlet for funding and enlarging Doug
Wilson's empire and enriching Cannon Press which had revenues of over 1
million dollars last year on sales of Doug Wilson books. Over 100 affiliate
schools is quite a captive and lucrative market for the Wilson empire.
Perhaps the importance of the Christ Church and its book business has
already overtaken the importance of the Christian doctrines they were
founded to promote. Already numerous local pastors whose members have
children at CCS are expressing concerns that CCS is being changed from a
non denominational school to one that promotes Christ Church doctrines.
Open your eyes and take back your school. These folks from the Moscow are
well on their way to hijacking the school and your faith in order to create
a Christian version of the Taliban in North Carolina.

We do pray for the school and that it will be restored to what it was
intended to be, a non denominational school which serves our mainstream
evangelical Christian community in Cary.

Henry Gerrits

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the
interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and
art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts."
--Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.moscow.com/ngier/home/index.htm
208-883-3360/882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/ift/index.htm