[Vision2020] Rural wireless?

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Tue Dec 14 09:29:37 PST 2004

All,
First Step, in conjunction with Latah County Rural Development Services
received three grants from the USDA Rural Utility Services
Community-Oriented Connectivity Broadband Grant Program for Bovill, Deary,
and Potlatch.  Under the terms of the grant the libraries, schools, city
halls/community centers, and Fire/Ambulance services are provided with
computers and other hardware to bring broad-band high speed internet service
to their operations.  Each community will have at least ten public access
computers that are free and easy to access.  First Step spent a lot of man
hours preparing the applications and was able to secure these grants from a
highly competitive grant program.  The backbone that will be installed will
provide a lot of rural residents with access to broadband services.  First
Step, and Latah County, should be congratulated for this effort as this
project demonstrates that government and business can cooperate to serve
each other's need.  First Step has been an extremely positive force for the
Latah County community and should be commended for their work and
dedication.

Chris Storhok