[Vision2020] V2020 Problems

Bill London london at moscow.com
Mon Dec 13 16:59:09 PST 2004

L.Z. Jones:
    Is there a need for V2020 in this community?
    Yes, I think so, but maybe that would be clearer if I reminded you of
the history of V2020.  This unmoderated community email list was begun more
than a decade ago as an experiment in pure democracy.
    Several years ago, Doug Wilson wrote a small response to a posting on
V2020.  I, and others, encouraged him in his posting and in the resulting
community dialog, since discussion with the Christ Church hierarchy was not
available anywhere else.  Wilson, and his supporters, engaged in a spirited
dialog with a number of V2020 subscribers, on a number of topics.  I found
it all quite enlightening.
    Then Doug Wilson dropped out of the discussion.  He took his troops with
him and vowed to never post again to V2020.
    I thought that was cowardly and foolish.  But it was his choice.  And
now you are attacking V2020 because Wilson is not posting here?
    The V2020 discussion continued.  I think it continues because it fills a
need, for community updates (did you want to know about the radio
celebration for Peter Basoa on Thursday?  that was just posted on V2020),
for contact (did you consider adopting that fat black cat that was passed
around until was taken home?  all that community interaction came through
V2020 posts), for opinion (several subscribers regualarly post their own
ideas, editorials and cartoons).

    I assume that your comments about FSR and their support for V2020 are
designed to end that support and thus end V2020.  Of course, FSR is making a
business decision in their support for V2020.  FSR is allocating resources
to maintain V2020.  FSR also sponsors Christmas movies at Eastside
Marketplace and evenings at the Kenworthy.  In all those cases, FSR has made
a commitment to support what they consider the best interests of this
community.  I applaud them for that choice.  I have not seen any other
Internet provider offer such generous support to this community.

BL