[Vision2020] Slippery Sidewalks

Kit Craine kcraine at moscow.com
Sun Dec 12 11:37:43 PST 2004

Below is a letter I sent to the editors of the Daily News and Lewiston
Tribune as the snow was melting. It will apply to the next snowfall.

I'd like to encourage every one of you to report sidewalks that are not
being cleared of ice and snow. One of the most attractive features of
Moscow is that people can walk—except in the winter when a failure to
fulfill the civic duty of clearing sidewalks can make the risk of sever
injury too great. I think one thing everyone can do to keep Moscow a
good place to live is to keep the sidewalks a place where pedestrians
can walk safely, by both running a shovel and by insisting that the
City enforce the law.

Thanks,

Kit Craine

Letter to the editiors:

I'd like to thank the City of Moscow for the prompt and effective
response to my reports of slippery sidewalks. As a result of their
actions, my old dog and I were able to walk with relative safety across
properties whose residents had previously ignored the buildup of ice
and snow. I encourage anyone who knows of dangerous, uncleared
sidewalks in Moscow to call 882\-2677 (the general police number) and
report the address or the general area. The City will enforce the law
requiring that the sidewalks be cleared.

In Moscow, it usually only takes ten minutes or so to completely shovel
most sidewalks, if one can do it before the snow has been compacted.
Those few minutes of work can save months of pain and disability that a
person will suffer after breaking bones in a fall.

Granted, shoveling the sidewalk can be an obnoxious chore, but it is
essential for pedestrian safety. If there is a public sidewalk in front
of your home, please clear the entire length and width as soon as
possible after it snows. Put sand on any ice you can't remove. If
anyone finds a sidewalk that has not been cleared promptly,  please
report it to the police so they can enforce the law. A winter walk
should not be a dance with danger.

Kit Craine