[Vision2020] V2020 Problems

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Thu Dec 9 08:51:25 PST 2004

Ted, et al,

I may be wrong, but below is a possible explanation of the FSR email, V 2020
problems.

First, it is not just V 2020 but emails from various sources and geographical
locations that are sometimes delayed up to six days.  Some emails have been
forever lost.

The servers at FSR have a maximum capacity to handle email.  When that capacity
is exceeded, the emails are cached somewhere else and retrieved, if possible,
when the system has enough unused capacity to handle them.  Sometimes it is not
possible to retrieve the cached emails on a timely basis or to retrieve them at
all.

Another problem concerns the allegations that certain users emails are being
read by certain FSR staff.

When I first signed up with FSR, the technical support was very good and one
seldom had to wait.  Now, it is hard to get connected on call to them; leaving a
message sometimes leads to a long (more than a day) wait.  The last experience I
had was with someone who could not find the problem of why I could not connect
to the mail server and seemed to have no idea of how to investigate the problem.
(I always do the obvious before calling, including a cold boot just in case of
an OS foul-up).  He then said it was a problem with my machine.  A few hours
later without any more action on my part, the mail connection started working
again.

I am on a wireless connection.  Sometimes it works very well.  Sometimes it is
pathetically slow, due probably due to FSR's insufficient bandwidth.

Further, FSR is on a number of span-block lists.  This means that certain ISPs
will not accept any emails from anyone using FSR.  I reported the problem
yesterday after receiving another message saying my email was blocked because
FSR was considered a spammer.  The problem was acknowledged by FSR with a very
short note saying that they are working on it.  It may be a problem with virus
infected machines of FSR users who are spam robots and/or real spammers.  This
explanation would also explain the sluggish response at times.  It is alleged
that FSR does not have the adequate hardware, software, or technical expertise
to find the spammers.

I like to support local businesses.  However, the problems above are beginning
to lead me to consider finding a more reliable, more secure, and more responsive
ISP connection.

Has anyone else had these problems?  Or different explanations/solutions?

Wayne

Wayne A. Fox
waf at moscow.com
PO Box 9421