[Vision2020] Inarticulate thoughts on slavery

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 15:02:56 PDT 2004

I appreciate Ted Ryan's equanimity in arguing his case on the slavery issue.
  But....when a person is forcibly separated from his or her family, never
to see father, mother, sister, brother, daughter, son, husband or wife again
and made against his or her will, however kindly and gently, to live with
and work for a "master", regardless of how nice and understanding this
master may be, all the "mutual intimacy and harmony" that the authors write
of cannot negate the incredible cruelty of the slave trade.  How many
thousands of people, over how many generations, were robbed of their lives,
robbed of their families, and of their dignity?  Show me an example of a
slave who suffered no physical intimidation or beatings, and you're still
showing me a slave who has been denied his humanity, and there is no
justification.

                                                       Carl Westberg Jr.