[Vision2020] CBC IS GOOD?

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 00:41:27 PDT 2004

Tim et. al.

I am surprised that a media savvy expert such as yourself is not aware of the
sources locally to access CBC.  You state that short-wave is the only way.
Yes, short-wave is one source, but Direct TV offers Newsworld International,
which features CBC news.  And at night, there are numerous Canadian AM radio
stations that can be received via skip with ease here in Moscow that also offer
CBC news.

When I had Direct TV, I often watched Newsworld International rather than
CNN, Fox, MSNBC, or other network news.  It was clear to me that Newsworld
International had a more professional and less hyped approach to reporting news.

Worldlink TV on Direct TV also was great, a nonprofit satellite channel that
offers political programming you will not see anywhere else just about,
certainly not on any "for profit" news outlet in the mainstream media.

C-Span also is fantastic.

There are options in the media for people to educate themselves.  But it
appears people go for the profit driven hyped "infotainment," which features the
most slick flashy visuals and feel good sound bites, etc.

Maybe Plato was right.  The masses should not be allowed to run society.  We
need a caste of philosopher kings/queens to make the wisest decisions.

Ted Moffett