[Vision2020] County Commissioner Terms and Districts

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Aug 17 09:49:44 PDT 2004

Donovan,

All good points that with one exception (district boundaries) are
written in state statute and out of the hands of local
decision-makers. I'd be reluctant to advocate changing the election
cycle as it guarantees that a majority of the board is up for
election every two years allowing reasonably quick voter response to
commissioner action/inactions.

Regarding the commissioner districts, while I was commissioner we
re-drew the district boundaries for the first time in at least 40
years to more accurately reflect the changing county population
densities. As part of that action, we invited public comment on how
we should draw them: pie shape to include some of Moscow and the
rural county in each district or make two districts essentially
Moscow districts. The pie shaped form was the original. My preference
would have been to make districts that reflected demographic groups
(Moscow and rural county) rather than the existing pie shapes, but
there were no public comments supporting a shift resulting from the
extensively advertised public hearing process.

Mark Solomon