[Vision2020] A Dilemma

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Aug 16 06:20:32 PDT 2004

Greetings Visionaires -

I copied and paste the following from The Daily Joke which I have subscribed
to for the past two years or so.  Every once in a while the author (Rex
Barker) posts something on it that is very thought provoking.  This was one
of those times.

You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you
pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

2. An old friend who once saved your life.

3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only
be one passenger in your car?

Think before you continue reading. This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was
once actually used as part of a job application. You could pick up the old
lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or
you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this
would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able
to find your perfect mate again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up
with his answer. He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my old
friend and let him take the lady to the hospital.  I would stay behind and
wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams."

This is Rex Barker, C. S. (Canine Strategist) reminding you that often, we
gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations. Never
forget to "Think Outside of the Box."

Take care,