[Vision2020] Re: Courageous Barbara Lee!

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 23:17:48 PDT 2004

Joan et. al.

After I sent the reference to "Manufacturing Consent" by Noam Chomsky today,
I pondered that the way the public and the US Congress was led to support the
invasion of Iraq in Gulf War Two actually fit Chomsky's theories on media and
manipulation of public opinion far better than the examples Chomsky gave in
his great book and political video documentary of the same name.

This was classic case of "manufacturing consent" through deliberate use of
the media to spread false information by repetition of the desired content and
marginalizing protesting voices: to institute control via inspiring fear, and
exploiting the anger from and need for revenge for the 9/11 attacks.  The media
filters in place operated with precision though there was no coordinated top
down conspiracy to enforce them.  All that had to be suggested was that a
journalist was not being patriotic or supporting the Commander In Chief in a time
of war to silence wide spread dissent.  Bush played the good vs. evil card to
great effect, one of the oldest tricks in the book, but it still works.  How
little human beings have changed in thousands of years!

Kerry is not my first choice for President.  Politicians who are eager to
militarize the image of the civilian position of President, as Kerry is doing,
make me very nervous, with control of the US military ostensibly in civilians
hands, however much cynics may laugh at this.  Of course, Kerry is trying to
steal the "Commander In Chief" image from Bush, but still... Maybe we must have a
candidate who does militarize the image of President to defeat Bush.

I guess this is the obvious political strategy.  My idealism is out the
window on this... The lesser of two evils makes so much sense now.

The upcoming Supreme and Federal Court judge appointments alone justify
supporting Kerry over Bush, even if Kerry's Iraq policy is identical to Bush!

If I hear another Nader lunatic tell me there is no difference between Kerry
and Bush, like they said about Bush and Gore, I will become apoplectic.

If Gore had entered the White House, as he surely should have according to
the will of the American people, we would not have invaded Iraq, I am certain.

I expected you to call me on the error in my last post on this Kerry's Iraq
war vote subject, where I gave a numbered list preceded by the statement:

> "the following facts or intelligence sourcing by the Bush administration
> (used to justify the most frightening image Bush spoke directly to the American
> people in a speech, the "mushroom cloud" over America) were false or
> misleading."

Of course this might imply that I thought Hans Blix and Scott Ridder were
being false or misleading, as they were listed as the 5th on my list, but of
course I meant that to dismiss them was a false or misleading approach by the Bush
administration.

Details, details... I might be happier if I followed our Commander In Chief
and just stopped reading the newspapers.  The higher father in heaven will
guide us ... who needs the facts?

Ted Moffett