[Vision2020] Re: Courageous Barbara Lee!

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 12:56:39 PDT 2004

Joan:

Well, OK, perhaps I am being uncharitable towards people, citizens and
politicians alike, who allow war to proceed without exacting scrutiny of all the
issues.  But if any action calls for exacting skepticism and examination of
everything involved, war is up there at the top of the list.  We are talking about
killing and maiming 10s of thousands of people to achieve a "good" end.

Joan wrote:

"Where you and I disagree is in what constitutes "bad logic."  Was it bad
logic to assume that the threat of force would compel Saddam Hussein to allow UN
weapons inspectors back into the country?  I don't think so.  I also don't
think it was bad logic, per se, for the Congress to accept the intelligence
information the Bush Administration supplied.  It wasn't bad logic but a foolish
and misplaced trust in the Administration's integrity"

As I stated, anyone studying the W. Bush administration and the PNAC doctrine
knew that Bush was going to invade Iraq at the time the vote in the US
Congress occurred to grant Bush war authority.  There was nothing Saddam could do at
that time that would make any difference.  The rest was window dressing for
manufacturing consent (thank you Noam Chomsky) and to give the "appearance" of
legality.  The vote in the US Congress we are discussing, that ONLY Barbara
Lee voted against, was clearly a green light for Bush to invade, not just use
force.  This was as plain as a clear sky in Montana.

Joan wrote:

"The Iraq War was marketed, if you'll excuse the expression, as part and
parcel of the War on Terror, and many reasonable, smart, logical people were
willing to give the Bush Administration the benefit of the doubt.   Should we write
them all off as dim-witted morons?"

I've been over this so many times here's my standard reply: humble Ted
Moffett with a computer and an hour or two discovered over the Internet before we
invaded Iraq that the following facts or intelligence sourcing by the Bush
administration (used to justify the most frightening image Bush spoke directly to
the American people in a speech, the "mushroom cloud" over America) were false
or misleading:

1: The yellow cake from Niger was a false story.

2: The aluminum tubes in Iraq claimed to be used in nuclear fuel processing
were not for this purpose.  This was a false claim.

3: Iraq had no nuclear arms program of substance except on paper.

4: Ahmed Chalabi, once a darling of the Bush administration, was a corrupt
scoundrel who should not have been trusted as a source of critical intelligence,
yet the Bush administration was sourcing critical intelligence about Iraq via
Chalabi's associates, and feeding this BS to newspapers.

5: Both Hans Blix and Scott Ridder, critically involved in Iraq arms
inspections, were waving their arms up and down trying to moderate the Bush
administration Iraq WMD propaganda, yet were dismissed to a great extent.

Why would I know all this with high certainly, yet the New York Times,
Washington Post, and every cable and network news outlet did not make these facts
headlines over and over before we invaded?  Michael Moore is right.  The media
failed us miserably, and we will not and do not have a healthy democracy here
in the USA till the media gets its head out of its...

The New York Times is hammered from the left and the right for its bias.
Read "Manufacturing Consent" by Noam Chomsky if you have not.  How news stories
are filtered and given emphasis by repetition or the lack thereof is
brilliantly documented in this book and The New York Times is featured prominently.

Recently I heard Chomsky say he thought, of all major news sources, he
thought the Wall Street Journal was offering some good journalism, quite a statement
coming from Chomsky.

Ted Moffett