[Vision2020] Palouse Academics Speak Out

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sat Aug 14 11:24:54 PDT 2004

Greetings:

This has been the most exhausting but enjoyable petition drive I've ever
managed.  Virtually no one was on either campus, so I essentially did home
visits of those that were in town during vacation time.  I had great
conversations (sometimes up to an hour) and I want to thank many people for
their hospitality and support.

We, the undersigned Palouse academics, strongly condemn the use of authors'
words without proper attribution.  This petition is in specific reference
to Douglas Wilson's and Steve Wilkins' booklet Southern Slavery As It Was
(Canon Press, 1996), in which many passages appear to have been copied from
Robert William Fogel's and Stanley L. Engerman's book Time on the Cross:
The Economics of American Negro Slavery (Little & Brown, 1974).

Gail Adele, Professor Emerita of Mathematics Education, University of Idaho
Clifton Anderson, Professor Emeritus of Agricultural Communication,
University of Idaho
David S. Barber, Associate Professor of English, University of Idaho
Lois Blackburn, Professor Emerita of Music, University of Idaho
Joe Campbell, Associate Professor of Philosophy, Washington State University
Ross Coates, Professor Emeritus of Art, Washington State University
Don Crowley, Professor of Political Science, University of Idaho
John Dahl, Assistant Professor of Molecular Bioscience, Washington State
Duane W. DeTemple, Professor of Mathematics, Washington State University
Alex Dickow, Ph.D., Rutgers University
Robert H. Dickow, Associate Professor of Music, University of Idaho
Sid Eder, Director of Summer Programs and Extended Learning (retired),
University of Idaho
Ken Faunce, Instructor in History, University of Idaho
S. M. Ghazanfar, Professor Emeritus of Economics, University of Idaho
Nick Gier, Professor Emeritus of Philosophy, University of Idaho
David Giese, Professor of Art, University of Idaho
Dale Goble, Professor of Law, University of Idaho
Dale Graden, Associate Professor of History, University of Idaho
Walter A. Hesford, Associate Professor of English, University of Idaho
Chris Hundhausen, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Washington State
University
Jason Johnstone-Yellin, Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Idaho
Joan Jones, Institutional Accreditation, University of Idaho
C. R. King, Associate Professor of Comparative Ethnic Studies, Washington
State
University
Tim Kohler, Professor of Anthropology, Washington State University
Margaret Littlejohn, Visitor Services Project, National Park Service,
University of Idaho
William Lund, Professor of Political Science, University of Idaho
C. A. Luschnig, Professor Emerita of Classics, University of Idaho
Marilyn Lysohir, Adjunct Faculty of Art, University of Idaho and Washington
State University
Ronald McFarland, Professor of English, University of Idaho
Barbara Meldrum, Professor Emerita of English, University of Idaho
Ronald M. Meldrum, Professor Emeritus of English, Washington State University
Brian Morton, Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Idaho
Robyn Morton, Instructor in Philosophy, University of Idaho
Ralph Nielsen, Professor Emeritus of Library, University of Idaho
Eric Nilsson, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University
Charles Pezeshki, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Washington State
University
George Roberts, Professor Emeritus of Art, University of Idaho
C. I. Smith, Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Idaho
Bruce Sykes, Graduate Assistant in Art, University of Idaho
Michael Tarabulski, Archivist, Lionel Hampton School of Music, University
of Idaho
Gordon P. Thomas, Associate Professor of English, University of Idaho
Stanley W. Thomas, Affiliate Professor of Religious Studies (retired),
University of Idaho
Von P. Walden, Assistant Professor of Geography, University of Idaho