[Vision2020] Courageous Barbara Lee!

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 11:07:36 PDT 2004

Wayne, Joan-

We can get as nuanced as we want, but I knew with certainty, as I think
anyone studying the intentions of the Bush administration and the PNAC ideology
made clear in the 1990s would know, that Bush was going to invade Iraq, no doubt.
 So the distinction between granting the threat of the use of force or the
actual use of force is somewhat meaningless when you know the intention is to
use this granted authority to go to war.  And I think a careful reading of the
authority granted did not forbid the use of force, only allowing threats, so
Joan, where is the reality in your distinction?  Let's say I know the guy with
the boxing gloves will cross that line no matter what his opponent does and
beat him up?  Do I still grant him authority to use threats?  Paul O'Neill from
the W. Bush administrations early days reported the focus on invading Iraq was
active before 9/11

If Kerry lacked the insight to see this when he voted to give W. Bush the
authority to use force against Iraq, I question his judgment.  However, other
motivations, like not wanting to be branded a treasonous peace-nik dove at
reelection time, could have come into play, not only for Kerry but for the huge
number of Democrats who laid down and went along with the W. Bush war agenda
voting along with Kerry.

There was a patriotic fervor and climate of fear that the Bush administration
was exploiting, so many Democrats who might have privately had doubts about
granting W. Bush the authority to threaten or invade Iraq were afraid to
challenge this.

Like only ONE member of congress challenged this!
Talk about mind numbing conformity, here in the land of freedom and
individuality!

Here is a link to a story about Barbara Lee, who had her life threatened for
being the lone dissenter in congress on that war vote:

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2001/09/lee.html

Ted Moffett