[Vision2020] Opinion not normally seen on V2020

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Tue Aug 10 15:56:38 PDT 2004

Don, et al,

Thank you for your post.

We have two opinions being examined.  Both from Michaels.

One backs his up with actual though selected video and facts.  The other backs
his opinions up with, well, more of his opinions.

Iraq did not attack us.  Japan did.  Further, it appears that Iraq was in no
position to attack us, even if they desired to do so.  Hence, patriotism is
really not an issue.  It is not a case of my country, right or wrong (or mostly
right as in the case of WWII).  It is a case of my country, thank you for the
right to ask questions and dissent before and when things go awry.

We were defrauded into a war by the sitting president's tales of WMD's, Iraq-Al
Kada collaboration, etc.  A dull sheep, let alone a president and his allegedly
intelligent advisers (and congress-persons), should have had enough brains to
question the quality and sources of the intelligence that put us in this pickle.
(Oh, I forgot.  Bush went to Yale on a "legacy" admission.)  I do not agree with
either Bush or Kerry that without an eminent threat to our or world security or
a humanitarian crises of mammoth order, we are justified in going to war
particularly before diplomatic options are fully attempted and no fruit has
ripened.  The real cost of war in terms of human suffering and human
brutalization/desensitization is so egregiously, terrifyingly high.

While we try to fix a mess we have created in Iraq -- a mess likely to continue
for years with far more innocents dying than if Saddam were in power (latest
news:  Iraq government [installed by us] may fail)  -- over a million African
people may die at the hands of Arab/Muslims insurgents in the Sudan.  Why have
we been so slow to even discuss some sort of intervention?  Wouldn't an invasion
to alleviate the suffering and displacement of Africans for humanitarian reasons
be far more easier to justify than our invasion of a cruel but hapless Iraq?
(Oh, I forgot.  Oil has yet to be discovered in the Sudan and the
oppressed/slaughtered are only a bunch of African Native Savages.  Pardon me,
how could I be so stupid and narrow minded.)

The most revealing and undeniable moments of Michael Moore's film are the
minutes that elapsed after the president was first informed that the events of
9/11 had occurred -- he continued nonchalantly to spew inane dribble at captive
school children.  What was going on between those Dumbo-like ears during that 7
or so minutes?  This interlude of 7 or so minutes alone convinces me that Bush
is unfit to lead our country.

[To V 2020ers that do not know:  Dan and I are friends, but with sometimes very
differing opinions.  Despite his occasionally being vilified in these posts, he
is a very conscientious and loving parent, a thoughtful, reflective person, and
possesses a keen sense of humor.]

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco at moscow.com