[Vision2020] Auroras over Moscow

nebar nanc3296 at uidaho.edu
Sat Aug 7 23:57:10 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 19:45, DonaldH675 at aol.com wrote:
> These pictures are gorgeous.  What time of night did you take them?
> Rose Huskey
>
> "One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe.
> There are just too many of them. But you can do something, and the
> difference between doing something and doing nothing is everything."
> Daniel Berrigan

The pictures from Paradise Ridge were taken all throughout the night,
from about 11:00 PM to 2:30 AM. The light show was constantly changing,
and as it was my first time at imaging auroras, a lot of the pictures
didn't come out.

The pictures from Steptoe Butte were taken between 4:02 and 4:04 AM when
the otherwise boring auroras (other than the best part at 11:46 PM when
a curtain formed directly overhead and swept an arc from the north to
the south!!!! Alack, no pictures came out because my exposures were too
short) exploded through the forest-fire haze with beams of bright color,
and dancing patches of light. This lasted for about three or four
minutes before fading away (and the suns glow swamped them out
completely very shortly after). I had a few pictures left on my camera
and I can't exactly say how long the exposures were because I lost count
(and my breath!).... They were *supposed* to be 35 seconds :cD

My girlfriend Jen is nagging me to inform that SHE woke me up because I
had fallen asleep, and so deserves some of the credit. Which I suppose
is quite true!

Cheers!
              Ms. Jasper Nance

---------------------------
"On ne nait pas femme: on le devient. Aucun destin biologique,
psychique, economique ne definit la figure que revet au sein de la
société la femelle humaine. [One is not born a woman: one becomes a
woman. No biological, psychological or economic destiny can determine
how the human female will appear in the society]" - (Simone de Beauvoir.
Le Deuxieme Sexe, 1949)
Jasper Nance
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Microelectronics Research and Communications Institute
University of Idaho
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1024