[Vision2020] re: conflict of interest

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 20:47:56 PDT 2004

Carl writes:

>"Melynda, in her usual thoughtful manner, lays out the legitimate concerns
>of many of us.  I'd like to focus on one.  As she writes: " In his capacity
>as President for the Chamber, he made staff hiring
>decisions which systematically favored members of his own church."  I can
>honestly say that it would make no difference to me if he belonged to and
>hired only members of the Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran,
>Unitarian, or the Church of What's Happening Now faith.  If true, it would
>still be wrong."

This is what I don't understand. How can anyone allow or tolerate this? If
this was cute little girls in miniskirts he was hiring in place of qualified
individuals to do the job, he would be rightfully fired by any competent
manager or owner of the company, likewise should be the case for religious
hirelings.

It is shocking to me that people take this lightly. This is as serious to me
as if you discriminated against hiring someone on the bases of disability,
race, color, gender, or family status. As far as I know, and understand, it
is illegal, even in Idaho, to hire or not hire people on the bases of
religion. This alone is reason enough to impeach and remove Kimmel from
office, and fine him, if guilty.

I am sorry I don't have the time, patience, or eloquence in my wording as
many of my V2020 colleagues,  but if you don't find people being hired on
the bases of religion serious enough charge t for trial, and if found guilty
be thrown out of office, then you either have rocks for brains, a cold
heart, are a bigot, or all of the above. Sorry if this offends you, but that
is my opinion. Southern Idaho may still be in an age of discrimination, but
Moscow should speak out against this, even if it is happening in the private
sector. This is why people call Idaho the "land of Nazis", because people
are defending this obvious bigoted behavior--even people in leadership
positions.

They use to do this sort of thing all the time when I was in Student
Government at UI until I got another senator to help me use parliamentary
procedure to block the appointments of bed buddies and pals and open the
opportunities to other students that were better qualified to do the job.
(And yes, we pissed everybody off, they promised their friends the positions
they wanted).

It appears that Our Chamber of Commerce needs to learn this lesson too. You
hire people on the basis of merit, and merit only. Not your friends, not
your bed buddies, not your beer buddies, and certainly not members of your
congregation. MERIT, that is all.

I know that the members of my family that have served as members and
President of the Chamber of Commerce would never hire people on the basis of
religion, and will be shocked when I tell them that this is going on now. My
Grandfather is probably rolling over in his grave considering all the work
he did to fight discrimination, only to have it put right into an
organization he once presided over and gave much of his life too. To shame,
to shame.

Sincerely,

Donovan J Arnold