[Vision2020] re: conflict of interest

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Fri Aug 6 08:59:01 PDT 2004

Darrell raises some points that I'm sure others are wondering about, too.
He writes:

>1.      I find it disturbing that a man is being raked through the mud
>simply because he is a member of a church that has a pastor with some odd
>views . . . Paul is being castigated for being a member of Christ Church
>and, undeniably, making one bad decision in not removing himself from a
>Commissioner vote. Does knowing Paul Kimmell attends Christ Church allow us
>to accurately infer everything else about him?

One difficulty about this medium--Vision 2020 in particular and email in
general--is that it invites polarization, and each pole is defined by the
most extreme or "spirited" position taken.  Although I, for one, have grave
concerns about the possible conflicts of interest, I don't have them because
of Paul Kimmell's membership in a particular church.  I'm looking at
patterns of behavior:

Paul Kimmell is described in church meeting minutes--to which he had access
and to which he could have asked for revisions--as willing to accept
oversight by the church's elders on some issues (unspecified).

Paul served as a land agent for the church.

In his capacity as President for the Chamber, he made staff hiring decisions
which systematically favored members of his own church.

Church email was used to promote his election.

He did not recuse himself from a vote on the tax exempt status of businesses
related to his church.  At the hearing on that status, inaccurate
information was presented to justify the request.

Those behaviors would cause me concern no matter what church Paul attended.
It's quite true that he was found not guilty of a violation of the conflict
of interest statutes for his vote on the tax exemption.  He's absolutely
innocent of breaking the law in this matter.  But for me, at any rate, there
are ethical questions beyond the legal dimension.  Has Paul served Latah
County well while blending these roles?  On what issues, exactly, might
Christ Church elders have been given oversight on Paul's decisions or
positions, and what were the consequences of that oversight?  Has Paul
served the Chamber and Moscow businesses evenhandedly?  Was he aware that
the information presented to the Board of Equalization was inaccurate?

I'll probably never know the answers to those questions.  But they remain
important questions for me.

I also recognize that it's very hard to ask these questions without being
perceived as mean or maybe driven by a vendetta. Ours is a small town, where
we see each other all the time, in all kinds of places.  Unlike Seattle,
say, or Columbus, Ohio, when I say something critical of a governmental
official, I do so knowing that I'm likely to see him tomorrow in Rosauers or
McCoy's or the Needle Nook or the Red Door.  That makes it just a little
harder to speak up.

Constant readers know I've never made any secret of my distaste for
Kimmell's pastor and his views--just as Doug Wilson has been pretty open
about his disdain for me and mine.  But there is a middle ground possible,
where serious questions are not necessarily personal attacks, and where
public officials can be held to high standards without personal animosity on
either side.

Melynda Huskey