[Vision2020] re: conflict of interest

Darrell Keim keim at moscow.com
Fri Aug 6 01:08:55 PDT 2004

Wayne,
         Your spirited comments regarding Paul Kimmell are, well, spirited.
         Frankly I disagree with your opinion of the man.
         I've had many dealings with Paul. Some in his capacity at the
chamber, and some as a commissioner. I have always found Paul to be a
conscientious, honorable, hard working man. I agree with everything Jon
Kimberling and Tom Hudson wrote about Kimmell. He has impressed me, and I'm
not easily impressed-nor am I blind, fawning or lusting towards Kimmell, as
you accuse Kimberling and Hudson.
         Have you ever met Paul? On what do you base your opinions of him?

         I would like to raise a few points that trouble me:
1.      I find it disturbing that a man is being raked through the mud
simply because he is a member of a church that has a pastor with some odd
views. I've heard Christ Church has over 500 members. I'll bet there's just
as many different opinions of Wilson in the church. Some probably think he
walks on water. Some probably can't stand him, and I'll bet most are
somewhere in the middle.
         Does membership in a church mean a person becomes a mindless
zombie that agrees with every stance the church pastor takes?
         Really?
         I know lots of Catholics using birth control. They don't seem to
be in lock-step with their pope. I also know a number of homosexuals that
fervently believe they are not going to hell. Yet they continue to go to
churches espousing different views. How can this be? Do they have brains
that they are using for themselves? Impossible!
         Stretching to make my point-how accurate is it to generalize about
a person based on a few known facts about their life? Paul is being
castigated for being a member of Christ Church and, undeniably, making one
bad decision in not removing himself from a Commissioner vote. Does knowing
Paul Kimmell attends Christ Church allow us to accurately infer everything
else about him?
         If people knew only a few things about you what might they infer?
         Paul is bald. Does that mean he is an, ahem, "gifted" man?
         I'm six foot five. Do you think I'm a good basketball player? One
of my cars is a 1976 Monte Carlo. Does that make me a gearhead? I've had
that car since 1984. Does that mean I'm cheap? Old? I was raised in
Montana. Does that mean my parents raised sheep for a living and were
members of the militia? I now live in Idaho. Do I grow potatoes? Am I a
white supremacist?
         Given these five facts, do you now have incontrovertible evidence
that I'm a cheap, old, basketball playing gearhead supremacist with a
fondness for sheep and potatoes?
         Correct me if I'm wrong-and I'm sure you will-but when we
generalize off of a small pool of facts do we usually get an accurate
picture? When generalizing is done on the basis of color, what do we call
it? Racism. What about generalizing on the basis of sex? Sexism. How about
when we generalize on the basis of income? Classism. Well now. Do we need
to come up with an ism for generalizing on the basis of attending Christ
Church? Kirkism, perhaps? I hope not. Isms are ugly, small-minded excuses
to avoid thinking. We don't need'em around here. And you don't have to be a
cheap old basketball playing gearhead supremacist with a fondness for sheep
and potatoes to see that.
         Allow me to peel away my layers of sarcasm and just be blunt:
Generalizing off of a small pool of facts doesn't work.

2.      It seems obvious to me that Kimmell made a mistake in not recusing
himself when the church tax exemption came before the commissioners. It
does not seem nearly as obvious to me that there is evidence of malice
aforethought. In point of fact, an investigator has found that he WAS NOT
GUILTY.
         To my knowledge Kimmell stood to make no money from the Christ
Church tax decision. It probably seemed a fairly straightforward agenda
item. A church was asking for tax free status. Not uncommon, not earth
shattering.

3.     Fine lines must be drawn when looking for conflicts of interest. Is
it really so hard to believe that Kimmell can honorably uphold his
obligations to the Chamber, while working with the Commissioners and
attending Christ Church? Call me naive, but I think the man can think for
himself, and is honorable enough to vote with his heart and do it fairly.
Incidentally, for those that are counting you can now add one more thing
you know about me: naive.
That must mean I'm a cheap, old, naive, basketball playing gearhead
supremacist with a fondness for sheep and potatoes. Right?
Back to my point. Where do we draw the line when rooting out conflicts of
interest:
a. Should city officials that own dogs not be allowed to vote on the
upcoming dog park issue?
b.  Should officials that drive cars not be allowed to vote on road repair
issues?
c. Should water users not be allowed to vote on issues pertaining to the
aquifer?
d. Should downtown businesses not be allowed input on Friendship Square?
e. Mein Gott! What about parents? How can they possibly be trusted to make
rational decisions regarding our schools?

         I also must take issue with your logic on one item:
>    "Doug Wilson reported that Paul Kimmell, in his role as County
> Commissioner,
>is open to oversight from the elders on certain issues."
>
>    Please don't lead us to believe that you are totally ignorant by insisting
>that "input" is what is meant by the above passage from the minutes.

If you believe that Doug Wilson is guilty of : "thievery, gross and
arrogant lying, plagiarism, disregard for human rights, obstruction of
justice, etc." then why do you believe his minutes would be an accurate
reflection of the "oversight" or "input" Kimmel is willing to give the
church elders?

If Wilson is a liar, isn't it just as easy to believe that Wilson would
seek to puff himself up by making it seem that he has Kimmel in his pocket?
Sincerely,
Darrell-Long time reader, first time writer.