[Vision2020] EAAAAAAAH - an authentic Bansha wail

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 11:46:00 PDT 2004

Visionaries:
Doug writes:

"I am posting this now because some of our local Banshees have got wind of all
this and have raised the cry of Plagiarism (between intermittent sobs of
outrage)."  dougwils.com August 3, 2004.

The banshees you heard, Doug, are the restless ghosts of academic integrity
that
once floated around the classrooms and halls of New St. Andrews....ever
hopeful,
never satisfied.  Those shrieks are not from local humanists, secularists,
Christians,
atheists, agnostics, Jews, Buddhists, or Muslims.  They are the wail of those
departed spirits mourning the death of the unaccredited, pretense you
shamelessly peddle as a Christian liberal arts college.

Perhaps at NSA plagiarism is defined differently than it was at the schools
(both public and private) that I attended.  No, let me correct that impression.
The NSA catalog has a statement that forbids plagiarism.  Obviously, the
intellectual honesty standard applied to NSA students is different from the one
applied to Douglas J. Wilson, Senior Fellow of Philosophy, NSA College Founder,
and Member of the Board of Trustees for life.  (That string of titles reads
like the honorifics applied to a tin pot dictator in a third world country
doesn't it?)  Imagine an NSA undergraduate claiming an "electronic" glitch is an
excuse for at least twenty-three breaches of copyright - which, Visionaries,
apparently includes entire paragraphs from Time On The Cross.

The facts of this situation are crystal clear, despite half-assed attempts to
muddy the waters.  That self-described "monograph" is eight years old.
Wilson and Wilkins sold it on the open market.  (Please note, that on the following
League of the South website, it has been sold continuously, despite being
pulled from the shelves locally.

http://www.pointsouth.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=PROD&Product_Code=A_SL
AVERY1&Category_Code=S-HX&Store_Code=ABS

Doug, do you expect us to believe that you didn't read proofs prior to
publication?  In fact, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that you jerked SSAIW
this past winter only after it was publicly shown to be poorly written,
historically inaccurate, and we now learn systematically stolen (out of context) from
the work of Drs. Fogel and Engerman.

Reasonable folks who graduate from 9th grade know what plagiarism is.
Consequently, I can only conclude that:

1.    You and Steve Wilkins don't know how to properly cite other people's
work, in which case neither of you should hold teaching positions anywhere; or
2.    You thought you would get away with it.

Eight years of silence (while happily pocketing royalties accrued from this
hateful, ignorant little pamphlet), from the Wilson and Wilkins camp argues
strongly for the second choice.

Rose Huskey

P.S.  You almost got it right, Doug.  My Irish ancestors came from Bansha
(not Banshee).

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan