[Vision2020] Plagiarism charges

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Thu Aug 5 10:28:47 PDT 2004

When I first heard of the plagiarism allegations against Doug Wilson, I
decided to check for myself--I've had, alas, some professional experience in
identifying plagiarists, and I wanted to see what was going on.

I found 23 examples of plagiarism in an 8-page section of the 33 pages of
text.  In each case, the exact words from Fogel and Engerman's *Time on the
Cross* were reproduced without quotation marks.  Sometimes there was a
footnote at the end of a copied sentence or paragraph; other times there was
not--but even when there was, nowhere in the text did the authors
acknowledge that they were using someone else's exact words.  The length of
quotation ranged from one sentence to 2 full paragraphs.

I can't imagine anyone with an advanced degree in the liberal arts not
knowing what plagiarism is, or that this constituted a flagrant example of
it.  It's not merely one or even two mishandled footnotes, or an accidental
omission of a set of quotation marks--anyone can make that kind of mistake.
But this is nearly a quarter of the text of the pamphlet, for Heaven's sake,
copied verbatim, without attribution, from someone else's writing.

I have had students dismissed from university for plagiarism less extensive
than what I found in "Southern Slavery as It Was."

Melynda Huskey