[Vision2020] Dispensing with the nonsense and moving on

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:11:33 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42D11.90563800

Dear Visionaries:

The VVAW/John Kerry assassination story shares locker space in the parano=
id stratosphere with the "murder" of Vince Foster, Helen Chenoweth's blac=
k helicopters, and our imminent takeover by the United Nations.  (First, =
prove to me that Kofi Annan can find Idaho on a map; then we'll talk abou=
t whether or not he wants to be our king.)  It's not so, and it's nutso. =
 Tom is right: we waste our time discussing such nonsense and, even worse=
, we expand the number of hits on Google for people who type in "John Ker=
ry" plus "right-wing delusions."

The war in Vietnam still matters because it still divides this country an=
d because its veterans are still caught in the cultural crossfire.  We ca=
n argue all we like about Kerry's opposition to the war upon his return. =
 Some of you think he betrayed his fellow soldiers; others, including Ker=
ry himself, believe he was doing what he could to bring the war to an end=
 and to bring them home.  This part of the national conversation is fair,=
 and it needs to be ongoing.  I'm sure it will surprise no one when I say=
 that I don't believe in sweeping our most profound disagreements under t=
he rug.  Let's get them right out there on the table and deal with them. =
 =20

What I don't like, and what I think is morally reprehensible, is calling =
into question Kerry's service in the field and whether or not he really e=
arned his stars and his three Purple Hearts.  The fact that this criticis=
m originates with those who had "other priorities" than military service =
during the war in question, and that it's repeated ad nauseum in the ditt=
ohead echo chamber, is a slap in the face to all who have served in comba=
t, no matter what political choices they made upon their return.  I sugge=
st we get this point clear in our heads: soldiers are not the wars they f=
ight.  A bad war does not make a bad soldier, nor a good war a good man. =
 We are the choices we make, and those we make under stress or under fire=
 or under harsh and appalling conditions are often the most telling.

It's easy to be brave with the lights on, but who are you when you're sit=
ting in the dark?  When you're afraid?  When your life and the lives of o=
thers are at stake?  We've got the answer to that with John Kerry, and it=
's a good answer.  He has proven his bravery and his courage under fire. =
 So let's move on to what we think he might do if he were faced with the =
stress of making decisions in the Oval Office. =20

Joan Opyr/Auntie EstablishmentGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer d=
ownload : http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42D11.90563800

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Dear Visionari=
es:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The VVAW/John Kerry assassination story =
shares locker space&nbsp;in the paranoid stratosphere with the "murder" o=
f Vince Foster,&nbsp;Helen Chenoweth's&nbsp;black helicopters, and&nbsp;o=
ur imminent takeover by the&nbsp;United Nations.&nbsp; (First, prove to m=
e that Kofi Annan can find Idaho on a map; then we'll talk about whether =
or not he wants to be our king.)&nbsp; It's not so, and it's nutso.&nbsp;=
 Tom is right: we waste our time discussing such nonsense and, even worse=
, we expand the number of hits on Google for people who type in "John Ker=
ry" plus "right-wing delusions."</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The&nbsp;wa=
r in Vietnam still matters because&nbsp;it still divides this country and=
&nbsp;because its veterans are still caught in the cultural crossfire.&nb=
sp; We can argue all we like about Kerry's&nbsp;opposition to the war&nbs=
p;upon his return.&nbsp; Some of you think he betrayed his fellow soldier=
s; others, including Kerry himself, believe he was doing what he could to=
 bring the war to an end and to bring them home.&nbsp;&nbsp;This part of =
the&nbsp;national conversation is fair, and&nbsp;it needs to be ongoing.&=
nbsp; I'm sure it will surprise no one when I say that I don't believe in=
 sweeping our most profound disagreements&nbsp;under the rug.&nbsp; Let's=
 get them right out there on the table and deal with them.&nbsp; </DIV> <=
DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>What I don't like, and what I think is morally repr=
ehensible, is calling into question Kerry's service in the field and whet=
her or not he&nbsp;really earned his stars and his&nbsp;three Purple Hear=
ts.&nbsp;&nbsp;The fact that this criticism originates with those who had=
 "other priorities" than military service during the war in question, and=
&nbsp;that it's repeated ad&nbsp;nauseum in the dittohead echo chamber, i=
s a&nbsp;slap in the face to all who have served in combat, no matter wha=
t political choices they made upon their return.&nbsp;&nbsp;I suggest we =
get this point clear in&nbsp;our heads: soldiers are not the wars they fi=
ght.&nbsp; A bad war does not make a&nbsp;bad soldier, nor a good war a g=
ood man.&nbsp;&nbsp;We are the choices we&nbsp;make, and those&nbsp;we ma=
ke under stress&nbsp;or under fire or under harsh and appalling condition=
s are often&nbsp;the most telling.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It's easy=
 to be brave with the lights on, but who are you when you're sitting in t=
he dark?&nbsp;&nbsp;When you're afraid?&nbsp;&nbsp;When your life and the=
 lives of&nbsp;others are at stake?&nbsp; We've got the answer to that wi=
th John Kerry, and it's a good answer.&nbsp; He has proven his bravery an=
d his courage under fire.&nbsp; So let's move on to what we think he migh=
t do if he were faced with the stress of making decisions in the Oval Off=
ice.&nbsp;<BR><BR>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML><=
br clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42D11.90563800--