[Vision2020] Kerry Lied about Vietnam and Vietnam Veterans

rodna@moscow.com rodna@moscow.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:48:55 GMT

Bill Neal or Chris Fallon (or whoever) stated

"Many of us Vietnam Veterans have had to put up with a 30 year myth that
we were psychotics, murderers of innocents, and much much more. Much of
this myth was developed and fostered by a group called the Vietnam
Veterans Against the War.

>From the Vietnam Veterans Against the War website (http://www.vvaw.org/about/):

"Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Inc. (VVAW) is a national veterans'
organization that was founded in New York City in 1967 after six Vietnam vets
marched together in a peace demonstration. It was organized to voice the
growing opposition among returning servicemen and women to the still-raging war
in Indochina, and grew rapidly to a membership of over 30,000 throughout the
United States as well as active duty GIs stationed in Vietnam. Through ongoing
actions and grassroots organization, VVAW exposed the ugly truth about US
involvement in Southeast Asia and our first-hand experiences helped many other
Americans to see the unjust nature of that war.

VVAW quickly took up the struggle for the rights and needs of veterans. In
1970, we started the first rap groups to deal with traumatic after-effects of
war, setting the example for readjustment counselling at Vet Centers now. We
exposed the shameful neglect of many disabled vets in VA Hospitals and helped
draft legislation to improve educational benefits and create job programs. VVAW
fought for amnesty for war resisters, including vets with bad discharges. We
helped make known the negative health effects of exposure to chemical
defoliants and the VA's attempts to cover-up these conditions as well as their
continued refusal to provide treatment and compensation for many Agent Orange
Victims.

Today our government is still financing and arming undemocratic and repressive
regimes around the world. Recently, American troops have been sent into combat
in the Middle East and Central America, for many of the same misguided reasons
that were used to send us to Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, many veterans are still
denied justice -- facing unemployment, discrimination, homelessness, post-
traumatic stress disorder and other health problems, while already inadequate
services are being cut back or eliminated.

We believe that service to our country and communities did not end when we were
discharged. We remain committed to the struggle for peace and for social and
economic justice for all people. We will continue to oppose senseless military
adventures and to teach the real lessons of the Vietnam War. We will do all we
can to prevent another generation from being put through a similar tragedy and
we will continue to demand dignity and respect for veterans of all eras. This
is real patriotism and we remain true to our mission."

Question:  Whee in the above VVAW statement does it bring any discredit to the
Vietnam veteran?  Or do you come from the same school of thought as Paul Duffau?

Tom
Hansen

           http://www.fsr.net/