[Vision2020] Ribbons, medals, and lying to ABC

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:47:15 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C42C6E.E9AD9B30

I said I wouldn't do this but here I am.  Ah, well.  The truth must be de=
fended, and so for this day and this day alone, I arbitrarily appoint mys=
elf the official Shoeshine Boy/Underdog of Vision 2020.  All rise.

Both Pat Kraut and ABC should hark back to Dick Schmidt's message of yest=
erday, in which he explained that there is no difference between ribbons =
and medals.  One you wear on your dress uniform; the other you typically =
keep in a display case rather than pinned to your breast.  (Unless, of co=
urse, you're Field Marshall General Idi Amin Dada.  Then you cover yourse=
lf in medals and wear them everywhere, even on your pajamas.)  Medals and=
 ribbons represent, symbolize, and stand for the same thing.  In military=
 argot, the words are interchangeable.  No lies were told to ABC or anyon=
e else.  Kerry attended an anti-war rally in 1971.  He tossed (or returne=
d, as it were) some ribbons/medals over the wall of the Pentagon.  Karen =
Hughes, George Bush's spokes-looney, has been all over the airwaves askin=
g, "Medals or ribbons, which was it, John Kerry?"  This betrays a shockin=
g ignorance on her part and a grotesque laziness on the part of the media=
  The facts of the case are simple: Kerry was decorated for heroism in V=
ietnam.  Kerry, on his return, protested the Vietnam War.  That's it.  Su=
m total.

Now, as for Pat's other point, that what's past is past and who cares now=
, I guess that's a judgment call.  I happen to think that there's more to=
 being commander-in-chief than just commanding.  I'd prefer a president w=
ho also knew what it meant to serve.

"Shoeshine Boy, you are humble and lovable."

Why, thank you!

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment     Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explo=
rer download : http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C42C6E.E9AD9B30

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I said I would=
n't do this but here I am.&nbsp; Ah, well.&nbsp; The truth must be defend=
ed, and so for this day and this day alone, I arbitrarily appoint myself&=
nbsp;the official Shoeshine Boy/Underdog of Vision 2020.&nbsp; All rise.<=
/DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Both Pat&nbsp;Kraut and ABC should hark back=
 to Dick Schmidt's message of yesterday, in which he explained that there=
 is no difference between ribbons and medals.&nbsp; One&nbsp;you wear on =
your dress uniform; the other you typically keep in a display case rather=
 than pinned to your breast.&nbsp; (Unless, of course, you're Field Marsh=
all General Idi Amin Dada.&nbsp; Then you cover yourself in medals and we=
ar them everywhere, even on your pajamas.)&nbsp; Medals and ribbons&nbsp;=
represent,&nbsp;symbolize,&nbsp;and stand for the same thing.&nbsp; In mi=
litary argot, the words are interchangeable.&nbsp; No lies were told to A=
BC or anyone else.&nbsp; Kerry&nbsp;attended an anti-war rally in 1971.&n=
bsp; He&nbsp;tossed (or returned, as it were)&nbsp;some&nbsp;ribbons/meda=
ls&nbsp;over the wall of the Pentagon.&nbsp; Karen Hughes,&nbsp;George Bu=
sh's spokes-looney, has been all over&nbsp;the airwaves asking, "Medals o=
r ribbons, which was it,&nbsp;John Kerry?"&nbsp; This betrays a shocking =
ignorance on her part and a grotesque laziness on the part of the media.&=
nbsp; The facts of the case are simple: Kerry was decorated for&nbsp;hero=
ism in Vietnam.&nbsp; Kerry, on his&nbsp;return, protested the Vietnam Wa=
r.&nbsp; That's it.&nbsp; Sum total.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Now, as=
 for Pat's other point, that&nbsp;what's past is past and who cares now, =
I guess that's a judgment call.&nbsp; I happen to think that there's more=
 to being&nbsp;commander-in-chief than just commanding.&nbsp; I'd prefer =
a president who also knew what it meant to serve.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=
 <DIV>"Shoeshine Boy, you are humble and lovable."<BR><BR>Why, thank you!=
</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp; <BR></DIV></BODY></HTML><br clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the=
 Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>h=

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C42C6E.E9AD9B30--