[Vision2020] Kerry's military record, redux.

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:24:02 GMT

In June of 1969 I had just graduated from high school.  My father and I were
not seeing eye-to-eye on alot of things, basically anything that involved me.
My draft number was a high number the year before (325, I think) and I was
afraid that it was going to be alot lower.  I felt that I had to get away from
home.  So, I went to the local recruiting office.  Being the whimp that I was,
I first checked with the Army National Guard.  The waiting list was 18 months.
I then checked with the Navy recruiter.  The waiting list was six months.  So,
I walked down the hallway and stood between two doorways, one marked "United
States Marine Corps" and the other marked "United States Army", and flipped a
coin.  Thirty-six hours later I was in-processing at Fort Ord.

Just some thoughts.

Tom Hansen

           http://www.fsr.net/