[Vision2020] Condy Robot

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:09:55 EDT

-------------------------------1081458595

Visionaries:

This morning I got up to have coffee with Dr. Rice.  It was not an altogether
convivial occasion. Among the millions of folks who wanted to hear what she
had to say (and also wanted to see how she said it) there must have been many
of us who were left with feelings of disappointment, disillusionment, and
disgust.

Unquestionably, Dr. Rice was an intellectual prodigy.  But the playing field
for that gift tends to level out by say, age of 30 when lots of academically
talented folks also have doctorates.  I think it is problematic that Dr. Rice
appears to lack insight into that fact, and indeed, continues to expect that
youthful string to her bow should set her on a governmental pedestal. In
particular, she projects a robotic intellect that may have been remarkable at age 15
but is considerably less unique at her present age. (An analogy might be drawn
between the "precious" lisp and tap dancing of Shirley Temple at age four
which had lost considerable appeal when Shirley turned fifteen.  She could still
tap dance, but who cared?)

Last night I saw a CNN piece in which Dr. Rice described her decision not to
become a concert pianist.  Her playing apparently was not technically strong
enough to make her a first class musician.  She suggested that her skills would
be more appropriately used in a piano bar than the concert hall.  She is
probably correct in that assessment.  Concert pianists play with emotional
commitment and a gut level understanding of the score. Some where along the way Dr.
Rice has apparently been unable to figure out what books to read, or lectures
to attend that will help her to snare those useful qualities.

And, as a petty aside, I instinctively question the motivations of people who
wear an image of the flag as jewelry.  What's that all about?

Rose Huskey
Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.

-------------------------------1081458595

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2737.800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Visionaries:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This morning I got up to have coffee with Dr. Rice.&nbsp; It was not an=
 altogether convivial occasion.&nbsp;Among the millions of folks who wanted=20=
to hear what she had to say (and also wanted&nbsp;to see how she said it) th=
ere must have been many of us who were left with&nbsp;feelings of disappoint=
ment,&nbsp;disillusionment, and disgust.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Unquestionably, Dr. Rice was an intellectual prodigy.&nbsp; But the pla=
ying&nbsp;field for that gift tends to level out by&nbsp;say, age of 30 when=
 lots of academically talented folks also have doctorates.&nbsp;&nbsp;I thin=
k it is&nbsp;problematic that Dr. Rice&nbsp;appears to lack insight into tha=
t fact, and indeed, continues to expect that youthful&nbsp;string to her bow=
 should set her on a governmental&nbsp;pedestal.&nbsp;In particular, she pro=
jects a robotic intellect&nbsp;that may have been remarkable at age 15 but i=
s considerably less unique at her present age.&nbsp;(An analogy might be dra=
wn between the "precious" lisp and tap dancing of Shirley Temple at age four=
 which&nbsp;had lost considerable appeal when&nbsp;Shirley turned fifteen.&n=
bsp; She could still tap dance, but who cared?)&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Last night I saw a CNN piece in which Dr. Rice described her decision n=
ot to become a concert pianist.&nbsp; Her playing apparently was not technic=
ally strong enough to make her a first class musician.&nbsp; She suggested t=
hat her skills would&nbsp;be more appropriately used in a piano bar than the=
 concert hall.&nbsp; She is probably correct in that assessment.&nbsp; Conce=
rt pianists play with emotional commitment and a gut level understanding&nbs=
p;of the score. Some where along the way Dr. Rice has apparently been unable=
 to&nbsp;figure out what books to read, or lectures to attend that will help=
 her to snare those useful qualities.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And, as a petty aside, I instinctively question the motivations of peop=
le who wear an image of the flag as jewelry.&nbsp; What's that all about?</D=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rose Huskey</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3 PTSIZE=3D"12" FAMILY=
=3D"SERIF">Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.</FONT></DIV></BO=