[Vision2020] CNN??

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:37:46 -0700

Pat, et al,

The moral of Pat's story is not only that CNN makes errors, but that all
reporting is subject to sloth, to manipulation, to point of view, to
extra-factual motivation, and to honest errors due to the nature of selective
and incomplete human observation, memory, thought processes, and retelling.

The example given by Pat cites CNN as a culprit.  It doesn't take but a few
minutes of Googling to find that all major news sources make errors
continuously.

For those of you that use AP Breaking News
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/index.htm, you know that several times a week
corrections are run on previously reported stories. (Sometime, several times per
day.)

Although some sources of news (and knowledge) are generally more reliable than
others, none are perfect -- a contingent worldview seems to be the most
heuristically justified one in all these cases.

The encouraging element in the unfortunate situation that Pat refers to is that
competition among news sources will many times cause errors to be found and
cause corrections to be made.  Pat's case is an example of this.  This process
is similar to the way scientific mistakes, miscalculations, and frauds are
corrected over time.

The scary beliefs are those that do not have any self-correcting mechanisms,
those held without periodic critical re-examination, and/or those for which
people believe are beyond or not subject to critical evaluation.

Thank you Pat for pointing out that we live in an apparently contingent
universe.

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco@moscow.com