[Vision2020] "the democratic party line"

Sara Anderson ande1022@uidaho.edu
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:14:29 -0400

Pat,

It looks like I'm going to have to jump in here.  If the "democratic party line" includes information like the fact that Iraq was in no way connected to the September 11 hijackings, or that only the information that suited the pre-existing desire to invade Iraq was used to justify a more and more costly war that has done immeasurable damage to foreign relations, well, sign me up.  Actually, I'll confess that I am already signed up: I'm a registered Democrat.

I'll take it when someone claims that the humanitarian reasons alone were enough to invade Iraq -- I can understand it.  My personal opposition to this gulf war is based on the fact that I did not at all trust this administration to finish things up right, not to mention the disapproval of the majority of our allies.  I was in support of invading Afghanistan, and I learned my lesson: the Bush administration has no intent of following through with their "nation building" and I think the June 30 date for pulling out of Iraq is one of several items that proves me, unfortunately, right.  Maybe they're hoping that June 30 is far enough away from November that the mess there (that will only get worse) will be forgotten by the American people.

I don't know what to do about the current mess in Iraq -- but it's not my job to figure it out.  The guy whose job it is, however (soon to be Paul Wolfowitz, I heard), seems to be about as helpful as I am, and I can't help thinking that it can be a bitch to be right.

- Sara Anderson