[Vision2020] faculty staff payraises at UI

Don Coombs mushroom@moscow.com
Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:11:14 -0800

Saundra Lund wrote:
> My *very* limited understanding (translated:  someone please correct me if
> I'm wrong!) is that while the legislature mandated a 2% increase (at a cost
> of more than $1.5 million), it was another of those *unfunded* mandates.
> So, where would the money come from?

I think the Legislature put some money in the budget for salary
increases, but not enough for the 2% increase called for. Consequently
the UI administration is considering not raising salaries until the
second semester of fiscal 2005.

The provost said Thursday morning that the university administration
would not be comfortable using the salary increase money, what little
there was of it, for any other purpose -- because that would upset the
Legislature.

Boy, do we ever have a Legislature that needs to be upset. (That's my
comment, not the provost's.)

A month has gone by since I last asked this question, so I'll ask it
again: Where did the many millions of dollars go that the UI lost on its
Boise real estate speculation?

Don Coombs