[Vision2020] "Morning Edition" A Letter from Jay Kernis Senior Vice President for Programming

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt@moscow.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:57:29 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C41741.402E5D70

Hi All,

I would like to share a letter I just got from Jay Kernis of NPR. Sounds =
like he has some experience too!

Dick Schmidt

Dear Morning Edition listener:
=20
Thank you for your e-mail. My inbox at NPR is full of messages from =
listeners
like you. The decision to change Bob Edwards' role has surprised and =
upset some=20
of you. I understand that Bob has been there for you every morning, and =
you've come=20
to rely on him. I write to explain the reasons for this change.
=20
I have a long history with Morning Edition and NPR, extending back =
almost to
the beginning of the network over 30 years ago. As a founding producer =
of
Morning Edition, I was part of the team that produced the show and
individual stories with Bob every day for five years.=20
=20
At NPR, Bob defined the role of the studio-host, supported by a team of
producers, writers and editors to bring reports that were often more =
topical
than immediate. He has performed that role memorably.
=20
Four years ago, in response to the sudden intensification of news and =
the
swifter pace of great and often troubling events, I initiated a =
wide-ranging
assessment of our core programs to insure that they will meet the =
challenges
of the new era. As millions of new listeners have come to us to =
understand
these events and our changing world, we have recognized a new challenge =
for
NPR: to make our programming even more timely as well as increasingly
thoughtful and in-depth.
=20
Since then, we have introduced new hosts to three of our signature
programs: All Things Considered, Talk of the Nation, and Weekend All =
Things
Considered. Our news programming is now stronger and deeper than even =
just
a few years ago - more varied and richer in voices, perspectives, and =
scope.
=20
Critical to these programs' development has been the arrival of hosts =
with
wide, fresh experience as NPR producers and correspondents in the field.
They have reported live from near and far - from Bosnia to Baghdad, from
Afghanistan to Allentown. They've reported moving, gripping stories from
well beyond the walls of NPR studios. =20
=20
Experienced both in covering news events as they happen and in NPR's
remarkable long-form radio journalism, they have brought unique =
freshness
and spontaneity to their NPR hosting. With their leadership, we are
embracing the challenges of our new era: to bring to you both context =
and
depth as only NPR can and to do so in a way that matches the pace of =
news.
=20
As a Senior Correspondent, Bob will join a truly great company of his =
NPR
colleagues: Susan Stamberg, Linda Wertheimer, Noah Adams, and Juan
Williams. Each has been a host in other times; each is making =
irreplaceable
contributions to NPR today. You will continue to hear Bob, not only on
Morning Edition, but also on other NPR programs.=20
=20
We deeply appreciate that you care so much; without passion such as =
yours,
public radio would not succeed. Thank you for listening.
=20
Jay Kernis
Senior Vice President for Programming=20
=20
=20
=20
Statement by Bob Edwards=20
3/26/2004
=20
I am delighted that NPR and I have agreed on all of the details of my
new duties as a senior correspondent. My new role will allow me to
continue serving NPR listeners and will include profiling interesting
and noteworthy people from all walks of life.=20
=20
I plan to be here at NPR for the long haul. I am leaving a post that I
have loved and have given my heart to. I now look forward to the new
challenges ahead of me and continuing to be a significant part of NPR
and the amazing program lineup.=20
=20
Morning Edition will continue to be my first source for news. I
encourage all of its listeners to stay with the program. It will
continue to bring them the most in-depth and thoughtful journalism in
broadcasting. I hope you continue to listen and support your public
radio station.

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C41741.402E5D70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Hi All,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I would like to share a letter I just got from Jay Kernis of NPR. =
Sounds=20
like he has some experience too!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dick Schmidt</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dear Morning Edition listener:<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Thank you for your =
e-mail. My=20
inbox at NPR is full of messages from listeners<BR>like you. The =
decision to=20
change Bob Edwards' role has surprised and upset some <BR>of you. I =
understand=20
that Bob has been there for you every morning, and you've come <BR>to =
rely on=20
him. I write to explain the reasons for this change.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I have =
a long=20
history with Morning Edition and NPR, extending back almost to<BR>the =
beginning=20
of the network over 30 years ago. As a founding producer of<BR>Morning =
Edition,=20
I was part of the team that produced the show and<BR>individual stories =
with Bob=20
every day for five years. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>At NPR, Bob defined the role of =
the=20
studio-host, supported by a team of<BR>producers, writers and editors to =
bring=20
reports that were often more topical<BR>than immediate. He has performed =
that=20
role memorably.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Four years ago, in response to the sudden=20
intensification of news and the<BR>swifter pace of great and often =
troubling=20
events, I initiated a wide-ranging<BR>assessment of our core programs to =
insure=20
that they will meet the challenges<BR>of the new era. As millions of new =

listeners have come to us to understand<BR>these events and our changing =
world,=20
we have recognized a new challenge for<BR>NPR: to make our programming =
even more=20
timely as well as increasingly<BR>thoughtful and =
in-depth.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Since=20
then, we have introduced new hosts to three of our =
signature<BR>programs: All=20
Things Considered, Talk of the Nation, and Weekend All =
Things<BR>Considered. Our=20
news programming is now stronger and deeper than even just<BR>a few =
years ago -=20
more varied and richer in voices, perspectives, and =
scope.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Critical=20
to these programs' development has been the arrival of hosts =
with<BR>wide, fresh=20
experience as NPR producers and correspondents in the field.<BR>They =
have=20
reported live from near and far - from Bosnia to Baghdad, =
from<BR>Afghanistan to=20
Allentown. They've reported moving, gripping stories from<BR>well beyond =
the=20
walls of NPR studios.&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;<BR>Experienced both in covering =
news=20
events as they happen and in NPR's<BR>remarkable long-form radio =
journalism,=20
they have brought unique freshness<BR>and spontaneity to their NPR =
hosting. With=20
their leadership, we are<BR>embracing the challenges of our new era: to =
bring to=20
you both context and<BR>depth as only NPR can and to do so in a way that =
matches=20
the pace of news.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>As a Senior Correspondent, Bob will join =
a truly=20
great company of his NPR<BR>colleagues: Susan Stamberg, Linda =
Wertheimer, Noah=20
Adams, and Juan<BR>Williams. Each has been a host in other times; each =
is making=20
irreplaceable<BR>contributions to NPR today. You will continue to hear =
Bob, not=20
only on<BR>Morning Edition, but also on other NPR programs. =
<BR>&nbsp;<BR>We=20
deeply appreciate that you care so much; without passion such as=20
yours,<BR>public radio would not succeed. Thank you for=20
listening.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Jay Kernis<BR>Senior Vice President for =
Programming=20
<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Statement by Bob Edwards=20
<BR>3/26/2004<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I am delighted that NPR and I have agreed on =
all of=20
the details of my<BR>new duties as a senior correspondent. My new role =
will=20
allow me to<BR>continue serving NPR listeners and will include profiling =

interesting<BR>and noteworthy people from all walks of life. =
<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I=20
plan to be here at NPR for the long haul. I am leaving a post that =
I<BR>have=20
loved and have given my heart to. I now look forward to the =
new<BR>challenges=20
ahead of me and continuing to be a significant part of NPR<BR>and the =
amazing=20
program lineup. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>Morning Edition will continue to be my =
first=20
source for news. I<BR>encourage all of its listeners to stay with the =
program.=20
It will<BR>continue to bring them the most in-depth and thoughtful =
journalism=20
in<BR>broadcasting. I hope you continue to listen and support your=20
public<BR>radio station.<BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C41741.402E5D70--