[Vision2020] "Do Not Call" bill passes

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:52:33 -0700

<P>I agree with Dale that just because the people want it doesn't mean they should always get it. Especially when it violates the constitution. That was the reason that we established a constitution, to protect what is unpopular.</P>
<P>However, I don't agree that telemarketing is a form of freedom of speech. Bottomline, it is more like "advertising". I don't think it is a right to advertise in anyway, anywhere or anyplace you wish. I think telephone companies should crack down on the telemarketers like internet companies crack down on spammers. I find it more annoying to getting telemarketers calling than spam. </P></DIV>
<P>In almost every type of advertising there is some kind of consent by the viewer. In telemarketing there is no consent of&nbsp;any kind. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I don't view reasonable restrictions on advertising as a violation of the Constitution.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Donovan J Arnold</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Dale Courtney" <DMCOURTN@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "'Vision2020'" <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] "Do Not Call" bill passes
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:30:43 -0700
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Tex chastised me:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; I think you are losing sight of one thing. The people have
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; demanded this.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; The people are the government last I checked.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Recall that we are a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy. In fact, one
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of the things that scared our Founding Fathers to death was a pure
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;democracy.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;So, while we may jump up and down and pass all the laws we want, we cannot
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;pass a law that violates the 1st Amendment without repealing the 1st
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Amendment.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;What I *really* think is at the heart of this law is whether it violates the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;1st Amendment. If it does (and I think it does), then it's unlawful -- even
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;if the House &amp; Senate passed it and the President signed it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Therefore, it will be (rightfully) struck down by the courts.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Best,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dale
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;_____________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; List services made available by First Step Internet,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.fsr.net
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>