[Vision2020] Re: Vision2020 digest, Vol 1 #781 - 8 msgs

Jon Kimberling jon@n-k-ins.com
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:31:11 -0700

John is correct about the water rates. When the City discovered we had not
been accounting properly for our water department, that resulted in a
substantial rate increase. Just like many of the numbers I could reference
here, I don't have the specifics right at my fingertips. However, I think it
is also important that we look at some other factors:

Here is a chart of our actual tax rate for City taxpayers for the last few
years:

              Tax

      Year
            Rate

      2003
     4.75

      2002
     4.62

      2001
     4.51

      2000
     4.53

      1999
     4.55

      1998
     4.38

      1997
     4.49

      1996
     4.55

      1995
     4.69

Because our tax base continues to grow, our 2003 rate is a small percentage
over the number dating back to 1995.
In an email I posted on vision2020 during the budget process, I pointed out
that unlike some of our neighbor communities who have taken the 3% increase
every year, the City of Moscow has passed on taking this on several
occasions. On other occasions, we have taken less than the maximum. My
point- I believe the City is trying to find a balance between providing a
high level of service while being sensitive to the burden we place on
taxpayers.
If you attended or watched the public hearing on fee increases, you know
that our fees are not out of line with our neighbors. The decision to
increase fees was driven by Councils desire to have fees more closely match
the cost of the service provided. If not, taxpayers end up subsidizing
services that benefit individuals. Plus, if I'm not mistaken it had been
several years since the last round of increases. Engineering fees were
increased a year ago but did not change this year.
Water and sewer issues have been in the forefront of many of our
discussions. We know that over time there will be a need to develop our
infrastructure. If we go to a tiered rating system, we will need to buy new
software, ect. My personal opinion is that it makes more sense to build
those funds with incremental increases. I would expect these increases to
continue. Again, what Moscow citizens pay is not out of line with our
neighbors.
who claims that we needed fee increases to pay for salary increases. In
fact, the amount allocated for the coming years budget under the new pay for
performance system is right in line with the amount allocated under the old
step and grade with an adjustment for cost of living increases. Fees are
supposed to cover costs. Salaries are paid out of tax revenues.
If you have specific questions or desire more detailed statistics, don't
hesitate to let me know. Additionally, I have my copy of the budget summary
and detail books in my office at 205 S. Main. If you would like to review
these, call my office and let me know when you are coming in. The number is
882-4414.

Jon Kimberling
City Council Member