[Vision2020] Re: Evolution and cruelty

Robert Dickow dickow@uidaho.edu
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:40:31 -0700

David,
    Without recounting the entire Platonic argument, remember
that it is quite possible to lead a moral life without a belief in
God. This derives from the concept that God Himself follows
a moral system that--from one point of view-- is actually 'above'
God himself. Even God obeys these moral principles. God
would never command us to go through life killing innocent
children for the fun and sport of it, for example. Why?
Because it would be morally WRONG to do so. Ergo, a
principle of moral behavior is essentially the external
force guiding God's Will in this example, in short.
    For more on Plato... see 'Plato'.

Bob Dickow

----------
> From: David Douglas <ddouglas@pacsim.com>
> Ralph:
>
> You say:
> "There is no life after death, so we have to live as harmoniously as
> possible with our fellow beings in our life before death."
>

> Looks like a non-sequiter to me.  How does the asserted fact of "no life
> after death" lead by logical necessity ("so") to the
requirement/obligation
>...<snip>
> The point of these discussions is that the lack of any authoritative
moral
> accountability (a just God who will judge) means it pretty much doesn't
> matter what moral  or ethical conclusions we come to, at least with
respect