[Vision2020] Global Warming

Debbie Gray dgray@uidaho.edu
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Donovan Arnold wrote:

> WHOA! Aren't we a little touchy Debbie?

No I am not "a little touchy Debbie" and neither am I "a little Debbie
Snack Cake," but I digress.

> Guns, increased population, and trains are what wiped out the Buffalo, not Indians. Sorry
> you don't accept that fact.

And really, that is partly what I said <see below in case you didn't
really read it the first time>. There are many factors that contributed to
the decline of buffalo population. Not solely whiteys shooting from
trains. Nowhere did I say that Native Americans single-handedly decimated
the population. Rather, I said they were one of many factors that
coalesced to significantly reduce the buffalo population in a very short
time. I am sure all of your Native American Studies professors would agree
that it is extraordinarily important to look at the sum of all factors
contributing to an event. Isn't that something you've learned yet?

Tapping my fingers,
Debbie Gray

>  The buffalo were not driven to
> >extincton solely by white man shooting recklessly at them from trains.
> >Buffalo jump sites are common throughout the plains and mountain states.
> >Archaeological evidence strongly supports the idea that not all buffalo
> >were skinned and eaten or utilized. Other 'technological' innovations that
> >changed the buffalo population were the introduction of horses, firearms,
> >increases in fur trade, the use of fires for landscape/animal manipulation
> >(yes, there were range and forest fires before white man!), increasing
> >army and pioneers and drought during the mid-1800's that decimated the
> >habitat.

  Debbie Gray      dgray@uidaho.edu      http://www.uidaho.edu/~dgray/
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to
  have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell