[Vision2020] Alturas again

edc@moscow.com edc@moscow.com
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:52:31 GMT

Bill,

I think that it would be of great benefit for you to research Business
Technology Parks in North America.  Alturas was orginally designed in the late
1980's and early 1990's and was never intended to soley be comprised of
technology based businesses.  If you talk with the people who helped write the
ordinance, their intentions are clear.  RTO was to allow a quality environment
for high-tech businesses, but was to be flexible enough to change with the
needs of the community.  The latest Technology Park in the area - Port of
Lewiston- allows many more businesses than Alturas.  Once again, technology
parks, as are all business developments, are designed to be flexible and meet
the needs of the community.

The Tech Park in Lewiston allows medical and would like the Blue Cross Offices
to relocate their.  The primary purpose of the Blue Cross office would be to
serve as a location to accept incoming calls.  The Research Park in Post Falls
allows much more flexible zoning, than either Lewiston or Alturas.

Moscow has limitations in the businesses it can attract or retain.  Many or the
commercial products that come from UI research, are better suited for the Coeur
d'Alene/Post Falls area - transportation, access to large numbers of employees,
lower taxes, more liberal zoning regulations, etc.

Alturas is designed for Moscow and our strengths and weaknesses.  Before you
drone on and on about what Alturas was suppose to do - take a real look at what
it has accomplished.  Even though some people thought Alturas was only designed
for "high-tech" businesses - that was never the intention of LEDC or of the
URA  (Urban Renewal Agency), the lead agency for its creation.  I suggest you
do some in-depth research on Economic Gardening, Small Business Job
Creation/Retention, and the difference between technology parks and research
parks.  Please research these topics prior to the October 8th meeting, and
maybe then you will be more willing to look at the facts surrounding
Alturas,specifically, and business development and growth, in general.

Please use facts Bill - cafeterias, daycares, lawyers, accountants, etc. were
included in RTO zoning orginally.  The retail sales will be retail from
technology created in the Park -software packages, etc.  As for negatively
impacting downtown, Downtown spaces are about 98% full and the second phase of
University Pointe should start construction in the spring of 2004.

Barbara Richardson Crouch
LEDC

           http://www.fsr.net/