Fw: [Vision2020] Re: Cloning

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:19:21 -0700

<P>Robert,</P>
<P>Give me some credit :). I know that fingerprints are not the same even in twins, they are formed at random by blood flow in the fingertips during develpment in the womb. I was assuming that they would bright enough to wear gloves. No prints, no knowledge of who it was. Your alibi is a problem too. The video camera in the Tulsa Oklahoma 7-11 doesn't know if it recording clone 1,2,3,4, or 5 buying a candy bar. Meanwhile, at the same time&nbsp;one of the clones&nbsp;is robbing a bank in San Diego. The clone accused can claim they&nbsp;where in Tulsa at the time of the crime.</P></DIV>
<P>Since they can only put one person on trial at a time, they can all claim they were in Tulsa buying a candy bar. Even if they can prove that it was not a particular clone at the store it still doesn't mean that they have the right clone.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I am also very aware that the clones would start off as babies. But that is my point. A&nbsp;38 year old man would only be 56 when they are old enough to start committing crimes under the direction and training of their father. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I could see big criminal elements trying to use this to get away with all kinds of crimes.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Donovan J Arnold</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Robert Dickow" <DICKOW@UIDAHO.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Fw: [Vision2020] Re: Cloning
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:30:39 -0700
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; From: "Donovan Arnold" <DONOVANARNOLD@HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; Now shy of fingerprints or a retinal scan, not much of a chance of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;knowing
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; which of the three or five clones it was.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Actually, clones will each have distinct fingerprints, as do twins. I don't
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;think anybody knows why this is so, and it is pretty interesting.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; But if a twisted person can clone themselves for 3 grand a piece, it
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;could
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; be tempting to create this scenario.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; But there is one major flaw with this whole line of argument. Clones can
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;not
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; be created in an adult form. The criminal who makes a clone or two of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; himself will have to wait up to 18-20 years for the clone to reach
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;adulthood
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; (usually) to commit his crime using his clones. So, a criminal using
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;cloning
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; to commit crimes is again highly unlikely.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; But, just to explore the nature of the multiple clone crime scenario, which
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; could happen under different conditions than the conspiratorial scenario
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; cited above, let's do: Legally the witness identification problem could
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; happen, as you point out, with twins, triplets, quadruplets etc., if
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; identical phenotypes. The case investigators would have a tougher time, but
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; there is more than just looks at pinning a crime on the particular person.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Alibis, for example, and much other evidence can still identify the actual
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; criminal in such instances. Fingerprints will be associated with only one
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; person, clone or not. Is the situation any tougher when the criminal is not
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; viewed by any witnesses at all during the crime? Sometimes, sometimes not
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;at
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; all. So 'looks' don't really matter in some cases at all anyway.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; In terms of your clone to take out the garbage, I think it would end up
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; being you that takes out the garbage while your clone catches the last
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;quarter of the football game. :)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Boy, that's probably truer than we know... and I don't even usually watch
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; football.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Bob Dickow
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;_____________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; List services made available by First Step Internet,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.fsr.net
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>