[Vision2020] Reverse Bush's Policies: General Wesley Clark

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:35:04 +0000

Dale, et. al.

Given the current emphasis in the USA on the military and national security
issues, a state of affairs likely to continue into the indefinite future
with an open ended never ending "war on terror" (after all, there have
always been terrorists in the world and there always will be, until utopia
comes), I think the likelihood of a women becoming president, becoming
"commander in chief,"  is extremely low.  Any presidential candidate must be
perceived as tough and "battle ready," and sexist as this may be, the
American psyche on average just does not perceive women in this manner as
strongly as they do men.

I doubt either major party would take the chance of nominating a women as a
candidate for the presidency with this "macho militaristic" psyche so much a
part of the American mentality.  It would have to be an extraordinary women
who convincingly projected the image of being tough and militaristic, a US
version of Margaret Thatcher.  But even this might not fly here in the US.
We don't have a tradition of queens as rulers we show great respect for like
they still have in England, ceremonial though it may be at this time in
history.

Ted

>From: "Dale Courtney" <dmcourtn@moscow.com>
>To: <vision2020@moscow.com>
>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Reverse Bush's Policies: General Wesley Clark
>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:19:21 -0700
>
> > Hillary will never become president.  America is not ready for a women
> > president and will not be ready for this, if ever, for a long time
>coming,
> > long after H. Clinton is history.
>
>Ted,
>
>I'm not in full agreement. I *do* agree that Hillary will never become
>president. However, I disagree that we won't see a woman president.
>
>The majority of Republicans/Libertarians that I know are willing to vote
>for
>a conservative/libertarian woman to be President; same with a minority
>candidate.
>
>I bet that if a woman from the Right ran, that it would be the Liberals who
>would vote her down.
>
>FWIW, for many it really *is* about principles and not about
>discrimination.
>
>Best,
>Dale

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,
>           mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com

Share your photos without swamping your Inbox.  Get Hotmail Extra Storage
today!  http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es