[Vision2020] Re: Cloning

LuJane Nisse lujane@lataheagle.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:26:23 -0700

I deleted the "cloning" post and then decided to comment and couldn't find
it - hence the new subject line and none of the original post.

I think it was Courtney that posted and he asked about sending kids to a
website to help name the cloned mule at UI and about Republicans against
cloning.

I have a lot of trouble understanding why cloning is so objectionable. If it
is used for making "parts" I DO understand. If it is used to make a baby
that would be raised and loved and nutured (talking humans here, not mules)
then what is the difference between cloning and artificial insemination,
invitro (sp?) fertilization, adoption, etc. The only problem with the child
would be knowing parentage and that is the same problem children face now if
they come into a family through other than natural means. I do believe
"natural" means is by far the best, even over adoption (and I have FOUR
adopted children) but parents don't love the child less because of the way
it came to be. I do know the child will struggle some with his/her
"beginnings" and maybe knowing you are cloned would cause some major
problems. It is untested and unknown. I like the idea of discussing this
because my mind is not settled on the issue at all.

LJ