[Vision2020] General Wesley Clark to announce Candidacy at 10 AM

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:08:04 -0700

<P>Dale asks:</P>
<DIV>"Can you please tell me what background Clark has to demonstrate his capability to lead a country? In the case of other Presidents, they had been governors of large states (well, some of small states). I'm not aware that Clark has even held a political office to the level of a city mayor. So, other than being the only hope for the Democratic Party in 2004, what political credentials does he have?" </DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You raise some interesting questions Dale. Questions I asked myself before switching my support to Clark.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>First, one has to define what they want in a leader. I look at several factors in leadership for the nation.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The first thing I look at is their position on the issues. Do they agree with me on most the issues? If yes, than I move one to the next criteria. Which is education.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Clark has Master's degrees in Political Science, Economics, and Philosophy. He graduated first in his class in High School and West Point. He is was a Rhodes Scholar. He did all this not coming from a rich family that could buy their way into Oxford. He clearly had to earn his way. He is intelligent.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The third thing I look at is his ability to deal with the office. Can he handle the position itself. This includes mostly understanding the economics of the nation, the politicians of the nation, and being able to work other nations in diplomacy. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>He has a high degree in economics. He was an investment advisor. I think he has it down.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>He worked with members of Congress for years, and is friends with many of them both Republican and Democrat. He has this down very well. He has also worked with the leaders of 19 other nations. He also has a good understanding of war.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Finally, I look at the person. Do they speak clearly? Are they honest? Are they loyal? Is their heart in the right place? This is judgment call for each person. Clark hasn't cheated on his wife, he fought for the nation, even took bullets, and is known as a straight shooter when speaking. He is also a well known and well sought after public speaker.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I don't look at someone as having served in elected office as qualification or disqualification for office. Many people who have been the White were elected many times and did horribly in the position. On the other hand, others that never served in elected office before did very well in the office.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I personally think that Clark is more qualified to the run the nation than any member of Congress. Congress members just vote on bills. They don't govern. But I also think that governing a nation is entirely different than governing a state or city.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The President doesn't deal with city sewers or lighting on 1st street. They deal with the budget, the economy, foreign relations, the military, and legislation. Experience which Clark has much of. When Bush was getting drunk, Clark was writing the US Budget as special advisor the office of Budget and Management. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But if you still insist that Clark must have experience in running at least a town or business, he has in fact done that. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>He has run many military bases. Bases that included hospitals, stores, schools, streets, postal services, everything that is in a modern city. He also runs his own business and was a director at Stephens Investment Corporation. He has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of numerous organizations. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>No, he is not a career politician.&nbsp;That is what separates him from the others in the field. If you want a someone that has been in career politics being elected over and over again, than Gephardt is the one that you want for President. He has been elected about 12 times at least just for Congress. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Donovan J Arnold&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Dale Courtney" <DMCOURTN@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Thomas Hansen" <TOMH@UIDAHO.EDU>, <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [Vision2020] General Wesley Clark to announce Candidacy at 10 AM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:17:36 -0700
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Scott Dredge,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;FYI, I agree with Tom Hansen.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;BTW, moderation on lists is not because you disagree with someone. But I'm back to my "yelling fire in a crowded theater" analogy.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Best,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dale
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; From: Thomas Hansen
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To: 'Dale Courtney' ; vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 11:02
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subject: RE: [Vision2020] General Wesley Clark to announce Candidacy at 10 AM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Some people contend that General Clark's tenure as Commanding General, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) qualifies him as a political leader.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I tend to disagree,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Tom Hansen
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Moscow
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; -----Original Message-----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; From: Dale Courtney [mailto:dmcourtn@moscow.com]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 10:58 AM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To: vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subject: Re: [Vision2020] General Wesley Clark to announce Candidacy at 10 AM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Donovan,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Can you please tell me what background Clark has to demonstrate his capability to lead a country?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; In the case of other Presidents, they had been governors of large states (well, some of small states). I'm not aware that Clark has even held a political office to the level of a city mayor.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; So, other than being the only hope for the Democratic Party in 2004, what political credentials does he have?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Best,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Dale
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; From: Donovan Arnold
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To: vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 09:43
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subject: [Vision2020] General Wesley Clark to announce Candidacy at 10 AM
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; General Wesley Clark will be announcing his official entrance into the race for President of the United States.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; General Clark is running as a Democrat. He was the NATO Supreme Commander during the Kosovo war. He was against the way Bush handled the war in Iraq and is socially liberal. He graduated first in class in high school and at West Point. He is also a Rhoads Scholar where at Oxford he received three Masters degrees in Economics, Political Science and Philosophy. He earned a Purple Heart, Silver Star, and Bronze Star in Vietnam.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; As a private citizen he founded and is Chairman of "Leadership for America", an organization that works with youth and future leadership. He also worked for Stephens Corporation, a private financial consulting firm. He has served in numerous other organizations including one that is working on the development of a car that runs of electricity.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; In 2000 Clark received the "Presidential Medal of Freedom". The highest national award for a private citizen.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Clark is the perfect combination of being a Southerner, a strong military and diplomatic background, an outsider, and a socially progressive liberal, to defeat Bush in 2004.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I invite you all to learn about Clark at www.americansforclark.com. If interested, I would also like you join the yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NW4Clark/ This is one of about 200 Yahoo groups around the country that are growing by exponential numbers in the last few weeks.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I believe Clark is liberal enough for most Democrats in Latah. I also think that he has the best chance to defeat Bush in 2004.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Thanks!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Donovan J Arnold
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Get 10MB of e-mail storage! Sign up for Hotmail Extra Storage. _____________________________________________________ List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994. http://www.fsr.net mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>