[Vision2020] Return of "The City This Week:" city pay raises, Linda Pall and KQQQ

Linda Pall lpall@moscow.com
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:34:48 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01C37239.4A7834C0

Dear Visionaries:

For a long time, in an earlier incarnation of this listserve, when I was =
on the City Council, I took the time to do something of an occasional =
'column' here to talk about what was happening in the City.=20

Since my name came up on V2020 today and since Bill London's post about =
city salaries came up... here goes, one more time. [For those of you who =
have been around Moscow for a long time, you'll remember Charlotte =
Buchanan and her great shop downtown, One More Time, including the =
inflatable rats, the rhinestone sun glasses and some very cool vintage =
Hawaiian shirts...but I digress.]

THE CITY THIS WEEK --- SEPTEMBER 3-10, 2003

WELCOME TO CAMPAIGN SEASON!=20

What this community needs is MORE dialogue, not less, more community =
conversations, not fewer. I have a strong commitment to creating and =
enhancing a democratic city government where political issues and =
problems can be resolved through inclusive, diverse, face to face =
dialogue. Our city would do well to institute what I proposed more than =
two years ago, while still on the council, and again in 2002 and earlier =
this year, after being narrowly defeated: study circles, small group =
interaction, problem solving and enhancement of community.

What is absolutely essential is that the City move toward community =
based conversation. Where there is public dialogue, there can be =
reality-based democratic change. The City needs to hear all the voices =
and incorporate those voices in a vibrant community.

ABOUT THOSE SALARIES, PERKS AND THE REST...

What ever happened to public information??? Surely, what the city spends =
on what is the very essence of public information. What kind, how many, =
how much and who gets are all questions that an open government should =
have no trouble in answering. I look forward to detailed, =
understandable, forthright answers... soon.

ABOUT KQQQ AND CITY COUNCIL CANDIDATE PALL...

Apparently, my press release was the subject of an off-hand remark from =
dee-jay and owner Bill Weed this morning. It turns out that Bill was =
trying to welcome me back into the electoral fray, glad to see me in the =
thick of it, and intended absolutely no malice. So, I've been welcomed =
and look forward to establishing that there is always common ground out =
there... somewhere.

SO the occasional 'City This Week' is baaacck... Arnold, move over.

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01C37239.4A7834C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Visionaries:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For a long time, in an earlier =
incarnation of this=20
listserve, when I was on the City Council, I took the time to do =
something of an=20
occasional&nbsp;'column' here to talk about what was happening in the=20
City.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Since my name came up on V2020 today =
and since Bill=20
London's post about city salaries came up... here goes, one more time. =
[For=20
those of you who have been around Moscow for a long time, you'll =
remember=20
Charlotte Buchanan and her great shop downtown, One More Time, including =
the=20
inflatable rats, the rhinestone sun glasses and some very cool vintage =
Hawaiian=20
shirts...but I digress.]</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial>THE CITY THIS WEEK --- SEPTEMBER 3-10,=20
2003</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WELCOME TO CAMPAIGN SEASON! =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What this community needs is MORE =
dialogue, not=20
less, more community conversations, not fewer. I have a strong =
commitment to=20
creating and enhancing a democratic city government where political =
issues and=20
problems can be resolved through inclusive, diverse, face to face =
dialogue. Our=20
city would do well to institute what I proposed more than two years ago, =
while=20
still on the council, and again in 2002 and earlier this year, after =
being=20
narrowly defeated: </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>study circles, =
small group=20
interaction, problem solving and enhancement of community.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What is absolutely essential is that =
the City move=20
toward community based conversation. Where there is public dialogue, =
there can=20
be reality-based democratic change. The City needs to hear all the =
voices and=20
incorporate those voices in a vibrant community.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ABOUT THOSE SALARIES, PERKS AND THE=20
REST...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What ever happened to public =
information??? Surely,=20
what the city spends on what is the very essence of public information. =
What=20
kind, how many, how much and who gets are all questions that an open =
government=20
should have no trouble in answering. I look forward to detailed, =
understandable,=20
forthright answers... soon.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ABOUT KQQQ AND CITY COUNCIL CANDIDATE=20
PALL...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Apparently, my press release was the =
subject of an=20
off-hand remark from dee-jay and owner Bill Weed this morning. It turns =
out that=20
Bill was trying to welcome me back into the electoral fray, glad to see =
me in=20
the thick of it,&nbsp;and intended absolutely no malice. So, I've been =
welcomed=20
and look forward to establishing that there is always common ground out =
there...=20
somewhere.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SO the occasional 'City This Week' is =
baaacck...=20
Arnold, move over.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01C37239.4A7834C0--