[Vision2020] Eugenics Books---PROGRESSIVE?

Debbie Gray dgray@uidaho.edu
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:17:03 -0800 (PST)

I will clarify that the book isn't saying that Eugenics was a progressive
movement, rather that those who supported the new movement at the time
"included such progressive thinkers as Woodrow Wilson, Margaret Sanger,
and Oliver Wendell Holmes" as well as many 'culturally elite' or other
'intelligentsia' of the time.

It also says that "more shocking--eugenics was sanctioned by the Supreme
Court. Cruel and racist laws were enacted in twenty-seven U.S. states ..."
and goes on further that "victims of eugenics were poor white people from
New England to California, immigrants from across Europe, Blacks, Jews,
Mexicans, Native Americans, epileptics, alchologics, petty criminals, the
mentally ill, and anyone else who did not resemble the blond and blue-eyed
Nordic ideal the eugenics movement glorified" and talks about how the
Carnegie Institute and Rockefeller Foundation funded scientific studies on
the topic. <these are quotes from the bookjacket>

I'll let you read it yourself if you'd like. I was too distracted by the
small print and shiny pictures, being educated by a government school and
all...

Anyway, just because she supported the eugenics movement I see no reason
to throw out all support for Planned Parenthood or birth control. There
are many valuable organizations and activities around today that were
founded on less than savory ideals. And plenty of organizations that were
founded on the most noble ideals and have warped and re-interpreted those
ideals into bizarre, controlling, condemning organizations.

Debbie

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Tim Lohrmann wrote:

> It's nothing short of amazing what can be labeled "PROGRESSIVE" isn't
> it?
>  If calling for the extermination of "inferior races," "criminal
> classes," sterilization of American citizens because of their parent's
> class and social standing is "PROGRESSIVE" then there's a whole heckuva
> lot of folks that might oughta find another word to describe their
> political leanings, don'tcha think?
>      TL

Debbie

  Debbie Gray      dgray@uidaho.edu      http://www.uidaho.edu/~dgray/
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to
  have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell