[Vision2020] eugenics books

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:09:25 -0800

Doesn't sound like it although these accounts are from the organizations
themselves.

March of Dimes

In  January 1938 President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the
National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis - a unique partnership of
scientists and volunteers - whose  mission was to conquer polio.

Eddie Cantor creates the first grassroots fund-raiser for the National
Foundation, asking the public to send dimes to President Roosevelt at the
White House. The effort was called the  March of Dimes, which  later became
part of the official name of the foundation.

Easter Seals

Tragedy Leads to Inspiration
In 1907, Ohio-businessman Edgar Allen lost his son in a streetcar accident.
The lack of adequate medical services available to save his son prompted
Allen to sell his business and begin a fund-raising campaign to build a
hospital in his hometown of Elyria, Ohio. Through this new hospital, Allen
was surprised to learn that children with disabilities were often hidden
from public view. Inspired by this discovery, in 1919 Allen founded what
became known as the National Society for Crippled Children, the first
organization of its kind.

The Birth of the Seal
In the spring of 1934, the organization launched its first Easter "seals"
campaign to raise money for its services. To show their support, donors
placed the seals on envelopes and letters. Cleveland Plain Dealer cartoonist
J.H. Donahey designed the first seal. Donahey based the design on a concept
of simplicity because those served by the charity asked "simply for the
right to live a normal life."

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA    rforce@moscow.com
I know I coudl just search for this, but I was wondering if March of Dimes
or, inclusive, Easter Seals had its/their origins in the Eugenics movement?
If I have a vague memory about that and why search?