[Vision2020] Thomas Sowell: Spinning Education

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:56:40 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_02AC_01C39E2C.DC888530

This story reminds me of Idaho's and Washington's wanting to establish their
own [lower] standards.

Then they'll start improving!

Best,
Dale

  _____

Spinning education
Thomas Sowell

October 29, 2003

You want to know what liberal bias and media spin are? Try a headline in the
San Francisco Chronicle of October 25th: "California School Rankings
Improve."

According to education officials quoted in the story, an "unprecedented
rise" in test scores has been achieved by "shifting away from a nationally
normed test and toward exams that measure what children are being taught in
the classroom."

In other words, when school children in California were taking the same
tests as children in other states, their results were lousy. But, now that
we have our own test, results are much better.

If you or I or anyone else could make up his own test, wouldn't we all turn
out to be geniuses?

The idea of gearing the test toward what is being taught in California
schools is turning things upside down. The whole reason for giving tests is
to find out whether students and schools are up to standards. Obviously, if
California schools teach drivel and there is drivel on the tests, everybody
looks good.

One of the reasons it is so hard to hold schools accountable for results is
that the education establishment wants to doctor the tests to make what they
are doing look good. When the tests consist of real math, real science,
etc., that is when "educators" cry out against having to "teach to the
test."

Virtually everywhere in life you have to gear your preparation toward what
the particular test might be in a particular field. A football coach may
have theories that sound great, but if his team keeps getting beaten by five
touchdowns, he has failed the test.

A business may be run by someone who is considered a financial genius but,
if losses run into the millions, quarter after quarter, that business is
headed for bankruptcy court. It fails the test.

Education is one of many things that California looks at upside down. As the
upbeat news item in the San Francisco Chronicle says: "Over the years, the
state has weaned itself from the national test and brought in new tests that
match up with what experts say California kids should know."

In other words, since we can't lick 'em, we'll stop joining 'em. Anyone can
have an undefeated record by not competing.

And just who are these "experts" on what "California kids should know"?
There are no standards that anyone has to meet to be called an "expert," any
more than there are any standards that anyone has to meet to be called a
"consumer advocate" or a "community leader."

These are basically people who toot their own horns and market their own
panaceas. Yet the media treat these titles as if they really meant
something.

Education "experts" are a dime a dozen -- and are over-priced at that. These
"experts" are a major part of the reason why American school children lag
behind children in other countries on international tests.

How surprised should we be when the same education gurus whose fads and
fashions reign in California schools say that what the children should be
tested on is their absorption of these fads and fashions, rather than
anything so mundane as the three R's or science?

Despite these attempts to paint the results on these new and special tests
as some kind of vindication of the public school system, there is a very
revealing statistic in this news story whose implications apparently escape
the reporter entirely.

While 26 percent of California's elementary schools scored above the level
considered "excellent," only 14 percent of middle schools did and just 7
percent of high schools.

Other tests reported elsewhere show a similar pattern. Young schoolchildren
in the United States score better, relative to their peers in other
countries, but fall progressively further behind the longer they stay in
school.

What this shows is that American children are not innately less intelligent
but that the American school system leaves them falling further and further
behind the longer they stay in our public schools.

That is the same pattern in California schools, despite all the
self-congratulation and the media spin.

------=_NextPart_000_02AC_01C39E2C.DC888530

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D061265522-29102003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>This=20
story reminds me of Idaho's and Washington's wanting to establish their =
own=20
[lower] standards. </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D061265522-29102003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D061265522-29102003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Then=20
they'll start improving!</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Vladimir Script" color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D5>Dale</FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D4><BR></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman" size=3D4>
<HR>

<P><FONT face=3D"Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" =
size=3D5><B>Spinning=20
education</B></FONT><BR><FONT face=3D"Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, =
serif"=20
size=3D4>Thomas Sowell </FONT><BR>
<P><FONT face=3D"Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" =
size=3D3>October 29,=20
2003</FONT>=20
<P><FONT face=3D"Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=3D3>
<P>You want to know what liberal bias and media spin are? Try a headline =
in the=20
San Francisco Chronicle of October 25th: "California School Rankings=20
Improve."</P>
<P>According to education officials quoted in the story, an =
"unprecedented rise"=20
in test scores has been achieved by "shifting away from a nationally =
normed test=20
and toward exams that measure what children are being taught in the=20
classroom."</P>
<P>In other words, when school children in California were taking the =
same tests=20
as children in other states, their results were lousy. But, now that we =
have our=20
own test, results are much better.</P>
<P>If you or I or anyone else could make up his own test, wouldn't we =
all turn=20
out to be geniuses? </P>
<P>The idea of gearing the test toward what is being taught in =
California=20
schools is turning things upside down. The whole reason for giving tests =
is to=20
find out whether students and schools are up to standards. Obviously, if =

California schools teach drivel and there is drivel on the tests, =
everybody=20
looks good. </P>
<P>One of the reasons it is so hard to hold schools accountable for =
results is=20
that the education establishment wants to doctor the tests to make what =
they are=20
doing look good. When the tests consist of real math, real science, =
etc., that=20
is when "educators" cry out against having to "teach to the test."</P>
<P>Virtually everywhere in life you have to gear your preparation toward =
what=20
the particular test might be in a particular field. A football coach may =
have=20
theories that sound great, but if his team keeps getting beaten by five=20
touchdowns, he has failed the test.</P>
<P>A business may be run by someone who is considered a financial genius =
but, if=20
losses run into the millions, quarter after quarter, that business is =
headed for=20
bankruptcy court. It fails the test.</P>
<P>Education is one of many things that California looks at upside down. =
As the=20
upbeat news item in the San Francisco Chronicle says: "Over the years, =
the state=20
has weaned itself from the national test and brought in new tests that =
match up=20
with what experts say California kids should know."</P>
<P>In other words, since we can't lick 'em, we'll stop joining 'em. =
Anyone can=20
have an undefeated record by not competing.</P>
<P>And just who are these "experts" on what "California kids should =
know"? There=20
are no standards that anyone has to meet to be called an "expert," any =
more than=20
there are any standards that anyone has to meet to be called a "consumer =

advocate" or a "community leader." </P>
<P>These are basically people who toot their own horns and market their =
own=20
panaceas. Yet the media treat these titles as if they really meant=20
something.</P>
<P>Education "experts" are a dime a dozen -- and are over-priced at =
that. These=20
"experts" are a major part of the reason why American school children =
lag behind=20
children in other countries on international tests.</P>
<P>How surprised should we be when the same education gurus whose fads =
and=20
fashions reign in California schools say that what the children should =
be tested=20
on is their absorption of these fads and fashions, rather than anything =
so=20
mundane as the three R's or science?</P>
<P>Despite these attempts to paint the results on these new and special =
tests as=20
some kind of vindication of the public school system, there is a very =
revealing=20
statistic in this news story whose implications apparently escape the =
reporter=20
entirely.</P>
<P>While 26 percent of California's elementary schools scored above the =
level=20
considered "excellent," only 14 percent of middle schools did and just 7 =
percent=20
of high schools.</P>
<P>Other tests reported elsewhere show a similar pattern. Young =
schoolchildren=20
in the United States score better, relative to their peers in other =
countries,=20
but fall progressively further behind the longer they stay in =
school.</P>
<P>What this shows is that American children are not innately less =
intelligent=20
but that the American school system leaves them falling further and =
further=20
behind the longer they stay in our public schools. </P>
<P>That is the same pattern in California schools, despite all the=20
self-congratulation and the media spin.</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2></FONT></P></FONT></DIV></FONT>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_02AC_01C39E2C.DC888530--