[Vision2020] Journalistic integrity

Greg Burton gburton@sltrib.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:47:26 -0700

 I'll try to step out carefully now. If slavery will not be discussed at the
conference, a simple correction should suffice. I certainly don't know the
whole story, though.
  The bulk of the article, which discusses the booklet and slavery and the
Bible and hate and extremism is accurate?
  Despite your note below Doug, the author uses an indirect quote to say
"wilson says he does not support slavery and opposes racism." Even says you
took care to make sure the booklet would not be perceived as a racist
publication. Seems pretty clear to me.
  As far as you being called a racist on all the AP wires, it seems to me
that notion is forwarded by critics like Potok (although never stated
outright) who are certainly entitled to their opinions. And, as clearly
stated in the story, they are deriving their opinions from the booklet and
your association with Wilkins.
  On this point, it seems to me, the writer has done a nice job juxtaposing
different viewpoints about a controversial figure ‹ you. Sorry, you seem to
be the topic du jour. If I was to give the newspaper advice, it would be to
dig deeper.
  cheers, greg

on 10/28/03 1:30 PM, Douglas at dougwils@moscow.com wrote:

>> Visionaries,
>>
>> Greg Burton asks:
>>> My question is will Wilson and Wilkins discuss slavery or will they not?
>>
>> The answer is that no, we will not be discussing slavery. The conference
>> is on Revolution and Modernity -- Marx, Robespierre, et al.
>>
>>> If so, the article is accurate in my mind.
>>
>> But if not, then the article is inaccurate, right? And the Daily News
>> should correct it. The real issue in my mind here is that the Daily News
>> is being as stubborn as the pope's mule. The only basis they had for
>> connecting this conference and slavery was the fact the connection was
>> made  for them by the anonymous Timid One.
>>
>>> Many times, too, a journalist will get a tip about something, examine the
>>> veracity and go with the information if they can confirm it elsewhere.
>>
>> In this instance, the reporter confirmed with me that the conference was
>> NOT about slavery. And the error appeared in print anyway. And the
>> newspaper will not acknowledge it as an error.
>>
>>> Maybe that happened in this instance. If not, there should be a simple
>>> correction or clarification. Further, the "journalistic integrity" slug
>>> to this thread is a red herring.
>>
>> What brings journalistic integrity into question is not the initial
>> mistake (although it is at least suspect). The thing that shows a lack of
>> journalistic integrity is the simple refusal to acknowledge that the
>> article wrongly identified the topic of the conference. What would be lost
>> if the Daily News said, "The article xyz wrongly identified slavery as a
>> topic in the upcoming history conference." They did that, the conference
>> not about that. Why the reluctance?
>>
>>> The New York Times incident was about integrity and ethics, this seems
>>> more like quibbling.
>>
>> It is only quibbling if you don't mind being called a racist on AP wires
>> across the Pacific Northwest. But I do object to it. I do not mind (at
>> all) standing up for what I believe. I do mind being made a defender of
>> something I loathe. Quibbling?
>>
>> Cordially,
>>

>> Douglas Wilson

> List services made available by First Step Internet,