[Vision2020] Journalistic integrity

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:14:01 -0800

>   1. Never says conference is about slavery. Says book is.
> Does say slavery and history will be discussed and Wilson and
> Wilkins will be doing the discussing. Again, is this not so?

That is *not* so.

>   2. Carelessness? The version I have is pretty damn well
> written, allows Wilson a chance to defend the book, talks to
> Potok from SPLC, who despite all the drivel on this list, is
> regularly quoted by respected news sources as an expert on
> hate and extremism. Maybe Alexis made mistakes in the
> original version (again, which I don't have) but I'm sure
> she(he?) cares.

There are errors in the original (I don't have a copy of The Idaho
Spokesman).

Do they care? If they did, wouldn't they fix them?

>   3. Omission?
>   As I read the Bacharach story, it's about the controversial
> work of two people who may (or may not?) be featured at this
> History Conference. That's fair game in my mind and certainly
> less of a snoozer than Burke, Byron and Marx, three of the
> dead old white guys you so thankfully included with your web
> link of the conference.

And that's *just* the point. The story generated interest because of the
incorrect topic -- slavery. The correct topic wouldn't generate any interest
from most (except the Marxists in town).

>   4. I still haven't seen anything that says the conference
> will only be about slavery. If the DNews said so in a
> headline, then that point probably should be corrected by the
> newspaper.

Yea, I'll say!

Best,
Dale