[Vision2020] Journalistic integrity

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:52:35 -0800

Visionaries,

Ambrose Bierce once defined ink as a "villainous compound of tanno-gallate
of iron, gum-arabic and water, chiefly used to facilitate the infection of
idiocy and promote intellectual crime."

On Friday, The Idaho Statesman picked up the article which had previously
run in the Daily News. They ran it with this by-line: "Pair to give their
"biblical" defense of practice at U of I conference."

1. The conference is not on slavery. Never has been. The Daily News really
needs to quit relying on anonymous flyers as part of their crackerjack
reporting team. The savings in payroll are not really worth the embarrassment.
2. No, we are not going to give a defense of slavery at the conference.
3. It is not a U of I conference.
4. Having shouted their error on the front page, the Daily News had
whispered a teeny correction later on. The Statesman must have missed it
somehow.

I would like to ask Nathan Alford to respond, or someone at the Daily News.
Who is responsible for misrepresenting our history conference in this
egregious way? What are you going to do about it?

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson